Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solo sheep hunt-packing list

Default Solo sheep hunt-packing list

Well last year I had allot of people ask me to post up my packing list for others to look at. So here it is. I also have some photos of my gear all spread out on a tarp last fall right before I packed it all up and headed out. I am also posting some photos of my pack after the sheep had been loaded up. In the photo of the gear laid out on the tarp you may notice that there are some differences compared to the list. The list reflects the gear that I am taking this year.

Just so everybody knows, I am not a guide or anything like that and I don't think this list is perfect. I'm sure there are lots of guys on this forum that know much more than I do about solo sheep hunting. I would ask that they chime in and critique the list if they would like. I have only been solo sheep hunting for the past 3 years.

I really think that your own packing list should reflect the particular challenges that are present in your hunting area. So for what it's worth, here is the list. I hope it helps somebody out.

Good luck to everybody this year. I hope this PDF attaches correctly. ~907
    BYRON’S SOLO SHEEP HUNT PACKING LIST.pdf
    IMG_2163.jpg

Some more photos. The first one is last year on the mountain. The pack only has the sheep and a small amount of hunting gear. The second photo shows the pack after it was packed up with the sheep and all of my camp. Yes, there is a pack somewhere in there. It was pretty dang heavy. I started the pack out at around 11PM and got out about 1PM. I only had one near death experience on the pack out, so it was relatively uneventful.
    pack.jpg
    sheep and camp on pack.jpg

Looks like a decent list to me, what kind of tent do you fancy? And do you know the weight?

Thanks for the list and good luck this year.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks for sharing your list, it is great to see what others are taking. Off your recommendations last year I purchased the Delorme Inreach SE and it is pretty cool. I wish it had a few more options on the GPS like waypoint and navagation but it will do what I need it to do. Good luck be safe

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post

I really think that your own packing list should reflect the particular challenges that are present in your hunting area. So for what it's worth, here is the list. I hope it helps somebody out.

]
    This is a great point.. Having been fortunate enough to hunt several ranges its seem they all have thier challenges.. from finding drinking water,to river crossing to brush breaking, to walking on steep grass where crampons are a must... good list...

Holy cow Dude, that's a big pack! Any idea what it weighed when it had everything on?

I think you mentioned in your story last year, but why did you opt to head out at 11 PM? Had to be tough walking in the dark with that load.

Good luck on your hunt this year!

Thanks for the list. Good to see what people actually use.

Yes thanks for taking the time to post it. I will use it as a comparison for a solo elk hunt in New Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Looks like a decent list to me, what kind of tent do you fancy? And do you know the weight?
    Well, I never actually was able to weigh the pack after I got back. I had already taken the meat out of the pack when I got to the truck and I didn't want to put it all back together just to weigh it when I got home. It was heavy though. I started a fire and burned most of my extra food before I packed out just to cut weight. I would estimate that after I loaded up the sheep and was hiking back to base camp it was around 100 pounds. I had about a 3 mile pack back to camp. After I put all of my camping and cooking gear in I would estimate about 125. It may have been a bit heavier but I don't want to be the guy that claims that his packed weighed a million pounds. After it was all packed up I hiked about 5 to 6 miles more. Not too far by sheep hunting standards.

I can tell you one thing though. I have changed many things from last year. I have probably cut more weight on my sleeping bag than all other items combined. Last year my wife had bought me a Cabelas Guide model -40 degree bag. It weighs 9.5 pounds and is very bulky as you can see in the photos. I would have never thought about taking it out on a packout hunt but my wife had just bought it for my birthday and I didn't want her to feel bad so I packed it out with me. This year my sleeping bag weighs only 2lb 11oz.

Iuktug, you asked me about my tent. Well, this may sound funny but I actually have a $35 single man tent. I have the Sierra Design Hiker/Biker single man tent. I bought it on sale 3 years ago at Sports Authority for $35. I know it sounds stupid that I have expensive optics, and I spend allot of money on other things and I still only have a $35 tent. It's been on about 6 hunting trips with me and it still hasn't let me get wet and it's still holding up so I haven't found the need to buy another one. My wife told me I can buy whatever tent I want but I haven't figured out what I want yet. I may just pull the trigger on one tonight. I figured if it ships this week then it would still get to me before opening day.

I just realized that I forgot two things on the list. I forgot to add sunblock and sunglasses. The first year I went solo sheep hunting I got sunburnt pretty bad. I don't think I saw a cloud in 5 days. Not a bad problem to have but I do wish I would have brought sunglasses and sunblock. ~907

I'd include some lip balm and candy in there. I usually budget 1.5-2 candy bars a day. I feel that a snickers energizes me about as much as anything else. I also like a dozen hard candies for when you are glassing.

I might leave the water filter at home, depending on the quality of spring water in your area.

Other items I bring:

rain pants
    percription pain killers (for worst case scenario)
    Map
    tape warped around trekking pole
    1-2 contractor bags

Suggestions:

Ditch:
    Hunting regs, take only your pages per the unit.
    Nalgene bottles
    Water pump

Sub for a platypus 3l big zip with an inline sawyer filter. No pumps, no problems.
    Bring MSR 3l dromedary.
    TP- REI has 300 sheet 2ply with no center tube. Packs tight.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. This past weekend I picked up a 10 L MSR dromedary water bag at REI and some lightweight game bags at Scheels. I also picked up some more merino wall socks.

I bought the 10 L dromedary water bag because I figured that I could use it on other hunting trips as well. On the sheep hunting trips I won't fill it full.

I think you guys have me convinced to ditch the water filter. I think I will probably bring some iodine tablets to substitute it with. I typically trust the water where I hunt but you never know. I'll just bring some wilderness athlete powder to get rid of the iodine taste.

I'm getting pretty excited.

I have bleached water all around the state, so far so good. 2-4 drops per qt per red cross. put the water in the container, add the bleach, shake, wait 15 mins, turn upside down and loosen threads to get treated water on them. wait another 15 mins, drink. one tiny bottle goes a long way. Good luck!

Great list to help remember any gear I need to pick up before the season which is a sleeping pad after my inflatable wouldn't inflate last year! I am pretty sure you and everybody else underestimates your load. For instance, it's not likely you only packed in 25 pounds. My gun weighs 7 pounds empty. With bullets say 9 lbs and my Barney's weighs 9 lbs, my tent and sleeping bag another 8 pounds so you are at 26 pounds without any food clothes or other gear. Most guys forget to count some things I realized as I was packing out 162 pounds of caribou meat and wondered why it was so tough. I split it into 2 loads but with camp and the antlers and water it made my knees cry for weeks. Some items go with both loads such as my gun and ammo and plb and first aid kit and water and of course the pack. Adds up doesn't it?
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Hey Sollybug,

It does add up quickly. Last year I swear I had 150 pounds in my pack on the way out. I just don't want to make that claim official because I wasn't able to weigh it after I got back. This year I may take the time and weigh it when I get back.

Last year I packed out the full cape and I even packed out the liver and heart. This year I'll have to assess the situation and how far out I am before I decide to pack out the organs.

Has anyone on here used Zpacks gear? Looks super lite weight cubanfiber stuff i never knew it existed. Thought about it for solo sheep hunts. http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/triplex.shtml

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LOCALAK907 View Post
    Has anyone on here used Zpacks gear? Looks super lite weight cubanfiber stuff i never knew it existed. Thought about it for solo sheep hunts. http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/triplex.shtml

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have and use a Zpack sleeping bag and bivy. Both have held up well, but remember light stuff has to be treated more gently than heavyweight stuff.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I don't have any first hand experience with their shelters but I have a few of their CF dry bags. I do on several CF shelters and my personal preference are Pyramid style, for ease of setting up and there ability to shed wind. Floor less cuben fiber is the only way to go IMO. My solo shelter weighs a little under 17 oz. with everything including guidelines, stakes, and stuff sacks, and it's near bombproof when tightly tacked down to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast