Thread: Im not looking for anyones GPS Coordinates "Homer"

Default Im not looking for anyones GPS Coordinates "Homer"

However, I am looking for a general area to fish halibut out of Homer. Like to stay within a 25-30 mile range, Thanks

Look on your chart 16645 and head to the compas rose.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Look on your chart 16645 and head to the compas rose.
    I second that motion.

Yes I third the compass rose idea.
    When you pass a group of boats Halibut fishing mark the spot on your GPS. Come back later that day or preferably another day and give it a shot.
    There is usually a reason there are multiple boats in an area. Especially out of Homer where the fish can often be found in the same locations time and time again.
    Study your charts as well. I have caught decent halibut picking a good looking spot on my chart and checking it out. Caught a couple of 40 # fish a few years ago doing that.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

25-30 miles out? Any place out that far has probably got fish. Look for irregular bottom contours. I have a spot 18 miles out but lately the lousy 1/2 charters have been hammering it. On the 4th of July weekend, I counted 19 boats within shouting distance including two of the 1/2 day boats (yes I'm in favor of 1 fish per person on charters). Don't be scared to go NE out of the harbor. One of my favorite spots is only 5 minutes from the breakwater. The action is not as fast as out in the middle, but the fish tend to be larger, I get my fish and I'm not lining the pockets of Petro Marine. Cheers

You could find plenty within 20 miles...just head straight out and you'll start running into boats spread out all over. Drop an anchor and you should be in them in know time.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

As a rule, just look for quick little drop offs anywhere out there. Say you're going along at 80-85 feet then all of a sudden you see it drops to 125. This would be a good place to fish, and you don't have to go nearly that far out.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks to all for inputs