Thread: Valdez

Default Valdez

Renting a boat for Saturday. Wondering if there are any recent fishing reports? Taking the kids so hopefully we'll find plenty of pinks and silvers.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

You should find plenty of pinks but I think you will be at least a couple weeks early to find many silvers unless you go out into the sound quite a ways. Although I hope someone finds some silvers out of Valdez this year because not many returned last year. I have not heard of any silvers being caught but a few kings were still being caught by the Old Town release site via some other reports.

A few silvers are starting to show up in the arm. Not a lot by any means, and they might just be cycling through, but they're around

Limits been had around goose on silvers. Pinks are in but I'm having issues them biting. Most have been snagging that I see.

Lots of pinks from Allison point to the hatchery on dayville rd. havent seen any silvers yet.

Thanks for the reports so far. We are gonna target lingcod, halibut, silvers, pinks, rockfish, and whatever else wants to bite. Will be fun regardless of the outcome. How much is fuel at the dock?

About 4.50. Dont remember exact amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    About 4.50. Dont remember exact amount.
    Thanks scuba. That's about what I figured on. First time saltwater fishing on my own so I am pretty stoked.

Default Valdez

Fuel was 4.49 on Monday. How big is the boat that your renting?

Quote Originally Posted by HuntinAK View Post
    Fuel was 4.49 on Monday. How big is the boat that your renting?
    20ft. Looks like conditions will be just right.

FYI... been fishing Dayville all week and there are tons of pinks (as usual), but as of the last couple days they are now passing their prime for keeping. Last one we kept that was still bright was about 3 days ago. The boys are starting to hump out and they are all blushing and going grey. Aside from that, the Port looks like popcorn popping every morning for the last week with all the pinks. There was a comm opening yesterday, but it didn't seem to put much of a dent in the population. If anything, I was catching more pinks this morning than I was yesterday morning prior to the comm fish.

Haven't snagged a single pink yet. Every catch has been on the bite. People who are snagging are just doing it wrong. Generally, people retrieve way too fast and don't work their lure the way it is designed. Though it is quite enjoyable to stand on the Dayville rip-rap with folks all over the place tossing their pink pixies and not getting much action at all. This morning I slipped in there between a couple others and caught 5 pinks in short order while I didn't see any of the 3 guys to the left catch anything and of the couple guys to the right, one of them hooked up twice. Looked like they were all using pink pixies or something similar.

Caught my first pink on the 2nd cast with my "secret lure" and then hooked up with a couple more before tossing a pink pixie out to hook up on the first cast with that. Then I pitched a green pixie for a bit and ended up hooking up one last time on that one after at least a half dozen casts. So the pixies do work, you just have to slow down and work them a bit more. It's the pause that connects.

What was funny, was when I had enough fun for the morning and picked up my gear to leave. A guy comes trotting up the bike path and intercepts me at my car to ask what the fish are biting on. After telling him the default "anything in your box with bright colors and a hook", I set my tackle box down and opened it up telling him that I'd been having the best luck with one jig in particular...

OK, enough drama. My "secret" pink jig just happens to be out of my Pike tackle box. The "Storm WildEye Live Minnow" is my secret weapon. I hit it with a little squirt of shrimp oil on the head as a scent mask. I use a very light rod with fine braided line, so these things cast pretty far. Retrieve very slowly with a random little jerking action and the salmon go ape over them. The pinks strike these at least 3:1 over pixies. Now I didn't start using these to target pinks, I first tried them out to try and entice one of the few silvers in that sea of pink. Everyone always said that pinks pretty much only hit pink pixies. Hogwash. The pinks won't leave the minnow alone long enough for a silver to find it. Pretty much takes bait to find silvers. The only silvers I've caught from shore in that area were done by flinging a glob of cured eggs out there as far as you can with an egg float and a large enough sinker to hold it in place as long as possible. For whatever reason, the pinks don't seem to be too interested in cured roe as they'll leave it alone for the most part.

Oh, and if anyone saw the article in Fish Alaska about fishing for pinks with bass plugs, I actually have an old cork "thing" that is kinda, sorta like a bass plug. It caught a pink on the third cast the other day, but it certainly wasn't a reliable hook up. With as much jumping as the pinks do, the thought of trying out some brightly colored bass poppers for some surface action does sound like a lot of fun. So when does that Bass Pro shop open?

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!