Thread: Range Target

Default Range Target

Here is a photo of my target from last weeks testing of my .375 W.

I'll explain what is going on.

The first dot on the upper left is a target for my fireforming loads. I shot two (2) rounds to settle the scope and foul the barrel. I then went down to the smaller circle and fired three rounds. You can see they are climbing. I had this weird optical thing going on with the outside edges of the circle and the center of the crosshairs. And I was adjusting the padding on the rear of the rifle so my collarbone wouldn't get slammed like the last time I went out.

The top circle is seven (7) inches across. This allows me plenty of white paper to quarter with the crosshairs. I was tickled by shots No. 1 and No.2. On the last shot (No. 3), I twitched jst as I pulled the trigger. I was miffed to say the least. BUT, I knew I had made two good shots, so if I did it once, I could do it again. I had only the two rounds left though. So I made an adjustment to the Meopta Artemis 2000 2-8x42 scope; one click up.

I fired a fireforming round at the upper left dot; No. 3.

I then fired the two shots at the lower circle. Bingo. I also found the scope likes to move over slightly when I put in one click. I'll have to test that as soon as I get another box of the Barnes 300gr. TSX FB's.

The rifle built for me by Jim Brockman, and you can see the strain gage for pressure testing on the barrel under the scope.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Called Mountain View Sports, they had 12 boxes of the 300Gr. TSX FB's in stock. Now they have 10 boxes because I bought two. $131 plus change. Ouch. Also having them Express Mailed out. Double ouch(!), but at least I will have them to do the final sighting on Friday.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Nice shooting. I like those benches...do they come in LH?

Thank you. Once I get the bullets I'll see about the final sighting in the back off to 200 and 300 yards, take some shots to develope a real world drop chart.

We have one that is left handed at the range. I can take a couple photos of the benches and some measurements if you'd like?

Thanks. I'll let you know if I need the information. I hope to join the Upper Susitna club latter this year and start using the range next year. I plan on stopping by there next month for another look-see to check out their latest range work.

Interesting looking trigger, what is it?

The recoil pad looks like a Cadilac seat, must be a soft hitter...

Interesting grouping with the vertical string on the "warming up target". If you were shooting prone I would say your breathing needs a little work. The windage is dead on but the vertical string usally means different lung volume at trigger break.

Nice looking rifle, be sure and post the final load and results.

300g bullets, ouch... Or gentle push? Can't wait to see it in action...
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Interesting looking trigger, what is it?

The recoil pad looks like a Cadilac seat, must be a soft hitter...

Interesting grouping with the vertical string on the "warming up target". If you were shooting prone I would say your breathing needs a little work. The windage is dead on but the vertical string usally means different lung volume at trigger break.

Nice looking rifle, be sure and post the final load and results.
    I appreciate the advice on breathing. I'll be far more careful and deliberate next outing.

The Silver's recoil pad isn't as soft as I thought it would be. Especially when it hits the collarbone.

Quote Originally Posted by MARV1 View Post
    300g bullets, ouch... Or gentle push? Can't wait to see it in action...
    This isn't as heavy as the other ZKK-602, but it still isn't harsh. Now if I had some RL-19 to play with, I think I could bring up the velocity a little while keeping the pressure under 60kpsi. Right now I have 2570 fps, which is correct for this length of barrel, and making an average of 55kpsi. It would be nice to go a little faster but that takes more fuel in the burner = increase in the punch. I don't think I need more experimentation if the bullets are overlapping. I do have some H-4831 which is slower than the H-414. I will load some with the H-4831 just to see what it does beginning with 75 grains, the same as the H-414 to check the pressure differences. This is the advantage of the PressureTrace equipment. It tells the harsh truth about chamber pressures.