Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Game Processor between Anchorage and Wasilla

Default Game Processor between Anchorage and Wasilla

So I'm Doing a moose hunt in late Aug and when we bag one, we would love to process it ourselves but just don't have the space and hands-on knowledge to do it, so I'm looking for a reliable processor to take it to and one that is trust worthy to get it shipped out and down to WA after. Does any one know a good game processor between Wasilla and Anchorage to take one to?

Don't know about the shipping part, but Pioneer meats in Wasilla did a great job on my bear this spring.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Mike's Quality Meats in Eagle River is another option http://www.mikesqualitymeats.com/ . I had a moose processed there and was happy with the results. I have no info on shipping though.

In Anchorage there is Alaska Sausage http://www.alaskasausage.com/ . I have had moose and caribou processed by them and I was always happy with it. They do ship out of state, but I have no direct experience with that.

Pioneer and Glenns wild game are both excellent butchers.
    Don't know anything about shipping it though.
    Ak. sausage ships their products all the time....might have some luck with them doing it?!
    Maybe even Indian Valley (south of Anch about 20-30 min drive).
    BK

My experience with Mikes Meats is exactly the opposite of 338wm. When I have game that needs processed I use Indian Valley meats near Girwood, I'm pretty sure they can do the shipping part as well. Have also heard good things about Pioneer but have never used them.

Pioneer meats out in medow lakes just past Wasilla does a excellent job. The only place we take our critters.
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

I have taken moose, caribou and pig to mat valley meats and always been happy with their product. The only time I wasn't thrilled was when I forgot to specify that I wanted Italian sausage links and instead got it in 1-2lb bags. Still tasted great though! I live in Eagle River and drive out there just to take my game to them.

Steve

Will never use Mat Valley meats again...complete oppisite opinion as poster above.
    BK

Second on Pioneer. Lisa owns and runs it. Very nice work. Everything's great but don't miss their jalapeno/cheddar dogs. Every person in my family loves them.

Second on Glenn's in anchorage. Mom and pop type place, good people, and the best breakfast sausage and chorizo you can get.

Not to mention the bacon burger at Glenn's...mmm-mmm GOOD!
    (I thought I could edit my posts when I make a spelling mistake....guess I have to be quick.)
    BK

Another vote for Glenn's Wild Game Processing. I've been going to Glenn and Darla for years and always happy with the service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Another vote for Glenn's Wild Game Processing. I've been going to Glenn and Darla for years and always happy with the service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    +4 for Glenn's
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Thanks all. I've tried to get a hold of Glenn's a couple times now with no luck... I keep trying them to get more info from them and next up Alaska Sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by ODGamer View Post
    Thanks all. I've tried to get a hold of Glenn's a couple times now with no luck... I keep trying them to get more info from them and next up Alaska Sausage.
    You'll get YOUR moose (the one you brought in) back after processing with Lisa at Pioneer Meats.
    You'll get a mixtures of everyone's meat intermixed into your meat back from AK Sausage

I know which I prefer. Many Many people just can't manage to keep game meet dry and cool.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    You'll get a mixtures of everyone's meat intermixed into your meat back from AK Sausage
    That's not necessarily true, FM - it depends on what products he selects. For steaks, roasts, ground burger, and non-cured ground sausage, you're guaranteed your own meat back at AK Sausage. For hot dogs (weiners), polish, summer sausage, and the like, you're correct - there is no such guarantee. I will say that I've never had anything but great product from them and I've personally seen them turn away meat that was not properly cared for.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    That's not necessarily true, FM - it depends on what products he selects. For steaks, roasts, ground burger, and non-cured ground sausage, you're guaranteed your own meat back at AK Sausage. For hot dogs (weiners), polish, summer sausage, and the like, you're correct - there is no such guarantee. I will say that I've never had anything but great product from them and I've personally seen them turn away meat that was not properly cared for.
    Yeah I call those the processed meats. Yes, technically slightly off, but I do.

So yes on the processed meats you get a mixture. I've gotten bone fragments in by dogs (and I know I gave him zero bone matter), and what stopped me from going was getting a caribou back whose processed meats were inedible; horrible metallic taste to it all. It probably came from someone else's meat I figure, because mine was pristine.

I'm sure they look and inspect best they can. But they do a huge volume down there, and can't look and smell everything and can't know everything.

Maybe some of that mixture was a porkie.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Yeah I call those the processed meats. Yes, technically slightly off, but I do.

So yes on the processed meats you get a mixture. I've gotten bone fragments in by dogs (and I know I gave him zero bone matter), and what stopped me from going was getting a caribou back whose processed meats were inedible; horrible metallic taste to it all. It probably came from someone else's meat I figure, because mine was pristine.

I'm sure they look and inspect best they can. But they do a huge volume down there, and can't look and smell everything and can't know everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ODGamer View Post
    Best to call after 3
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Glenn's is the place to go. I have used them, Mike's and matsu. I liked Glenn's the best. I took my friend from NY caribou hunting last year and they shipped 200 lbs of meat to him with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast