Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deer on POW off-lying islands?

Default Deer on POW off-lying islands?

Has anybody ever hunted deer, or seen deer, on the small off-lying islands off the E coast of Prince of Wales in Clarence Strait? Places like Blashke Is, Shrubby Is, West Is, or even Exchange or Thorne Island? I ask because I'm going to be on a boat with access to these islands the last week of August, and am hoping to hunt deer w/ the boat as a basecamp. Knowing that the deer are more alpine that time of year, it seems reasonable that if there are deer on the smaller off-lying islands, they could be easier to access starting from the beach on these smaller islands. Thanks for any insights.

I have a great idea... You go hunt there, when you come back, you can get on here and tell everybody all of your hard earned info. Or were you looking for somebody to tell you that there are 4 pointers running wild in every nook and cranny in that part of the country and that it's just like shooting fish in a barrel and there's no possible way that you wont fill all of your tags?? The point is sometimes you have to leave the safety of the couch to go out and hunt even though there's no guarantee that you will get anything but sore, wet, and tired. That's how the rest of us do it.
    Alpine is awesome...

Hunt for the sake of hunting. I change up locations often without any reasonable reason other than to hunt.
    Perhaps you'll find deer there. You'll be there. Go climbing with your rifle and knife.

I have a great idea... You go hunt there, when you come back, you can get on here and tell everybody all of your hard earned info. Or were you looking for somebody to tell you that there are 4 pointers running wild in every nook and cranny in that part of the country and that it's just like shooting fish in a barrel and there's no possible way that you wont fill all of your tags?? The point is sometimes you have to leave the safety of the couch to go out and hunt even though there's no guarantee that you will get anything but sore, wet, and tired. That's how the rest of us do it.
    Great idea! I mean, it's not like the entire point of a forum is to try and share information among board members. Come to think of it, why do we even have a forum? No one could possibly want to get advice from anyone else. We should just do away with the whole thing and everyone figure everything out by themselves...

I fully intend to explore around and see what I see. And as a matter of fact, I will post what I find, because despite the above posts, I've found lots of people on here to be helpful, and who enjoy posts that amount to more than "I'm not sharing, and I think you're lame for asking."

******* comments aside, it's terribly ironic for couch snipers to take-down requests for tips or insights with insults like "leave the safety of the couch." I'm guessing you aren't posting too far from indoors either, and I could think of better things for you to do with your time. If you don't feel like contributing, that's fine. But why take the time just to shoot someone else down? Is there anything more totally lame than internet forum superiority? I don't get it. Moreover, it's a far cry from asking "does anyone know if deer exist on island x" to "share with me your 4-point honey-holes."

Grow up.

Just ignore us......we haven't killed for awhile.

Just ignore us......we haven't killed for awhile.
    Well, with THAT I can sympathize!

Sounds like you found a honey hole.

You will find deer on those Islands. May need some knee pads to get to them though. They don't call them Bushy and Shrubby Is. for no reason. each one was logged and the roads were getting grown over 10yrs ago, I can only imagine what they look like now. The Blashke Is. are more hit and miss, there can be deer there if the wolves are working that area ajasent on POW but they tend to move back to the bigger islands after a while. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    Sounds like you found a honey hole.
    That's what I was thinkin......got me lookin at Google earth as we speak

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    That's what I was thinkin......got me lookin at Google earth as we speak
    I guess I should apologize. My personal issue with posts of this nature is obviously way out of line. Apparently I need to learn to be a bigger man and keep my mouth shut while being more sensitive to other peoples feelings. Excuse me while I shuffle back to my easy chair.
    Alpine is awesome...

Hard earned info is exactly that, earned! I would rather explore an area on a hunch instead of advise, but thats just me. The best advise I can give you is pay attention to the weather and the tides.

Definition of BEAU
    1: dandy 1
    2: boyfriend 2

Definition of Hunter

1. One who pursues something

Beau+hunter equals someone who, by his own name, is in pursuit of a boyfriend, a real “dandy” to boot
    Nothing cracks me up more than when someone asks a legitimate, honest question about a fairly general area, and someone else goes off the handle about that person asking about said area. Obviously they are pretty upset about a location being mentioned on the internet. I would be sure to take a real close look at those islands, but look out, because the boyfriend-hunter might just be single and on the hunt in the same area.
    I’ve never even thought about or heard about those islands, but now I am real curious. Looking forward to the post-hunt report. And take it easy with the anger, Beauhunter, I'm sure you'll find someone to make you happy someday.

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    Beauhunter, I'm sure you'll find someone to make you happy someday.
    Pretty sure he has that covered...

Congrats BTW Beau!!

Edit: Definition of wykee
    1. Asshat
    2. Asshat x2
    3. Asshat x3
    4. Any guesses??

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post
    Hunt for the sake of hunting. I change up locations often without any reasonable reason other than to hunt.
    Perhaps you'll find deer there. You'll be there. Go climbing with your rifle and knife.
    How many hunts you been on the last 3-4 years that you "hunted up" yourself? I sure seem to remember you trolling info, maybe I'm mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by npaull View Post
    ....Grow up.
    Good advice, that.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Pretty sure he has that covered...

Congrats BTW Beau!!

Edit: Definition of wykee
    1. Asshat
    2. Asshat x2
    3. Asshat x3
    4. Any guesses??
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...r-stand-up-guy
    Apparently a pretty good guy...ill vouch for him
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

I know I don't post enuogh of what I speak.. But what I like to read on the forum is:
    how "I" got to where "I/we" were hunting, and this sometimes is a mental focus, heck maybe even a bad idea over beer Then a quick turn about transportation to the hunt AO, LPC's (leather personnel carriers), ATV's, boat, sea plane, parachute, raft..
    Then a short on the primary specie you are hunting. Hey, we should all be willing to change horses in mid stream if on a moose hunt and we have a goat tag in pocket, and a decent billy walks into view!

Then, get to setting up the shot---- even throw in some info on your tool of choice, be it rifle, handgun, bow, pocket knife, snares, ect.
    How far, what did the critter's breath smell like? was there a heat waves in the graas the last 400 yards to target?

Then a little on recovery, a nice " we took a moment to thank the animal and our creator for giving us this norishment" is welcome here as well.

then " I just had to get on Outdoor Directory.com so they could share in my hunt"- success and failure there of.

I here by promise to do better meself in the future in the telling of my hunts/adventures/ and sometimes just FO'ing in the great outdoors.

If someone asks about type of game, whether their trophy hunting or got moved out of their comfort zone by fire, flood, or famine; we as the "Ones that went before" owe them the curtasie of a fair response.

Chris
    Last edited by akgun&ammo; 07-25-2013 at 07:43. Reason: can't spell

Bambistew, I take no offense in your question. Afterall, nothing worse than a hyporite laying down advice.
    In the last three years I've done two sucessful mt goat hunts solo. I've also done numerous Sitka deer hunts by my self. I couldn't even give you a number there. Fact is, I roam about and hunt. My deer come from various areas. My daughter took a nice Brownie this spring and we hunted hundreds of miles of coastline over 15 days. I camped in various bays unknown just to hunt. My Etolin Elk from 2012 was a hatched up idea from yours truely. I put a saw in hand and pointed up the mountain. I've got a cache in posistion deep in a valley for the Mt. Goat opener, Aug 1. That will also be solo goat hunt on a hill i've scouted myself. I don't know anybody else that hunts it.
    I'm not saying assistance and advice is unappreciated. In fact I'd venture to say the opposite. I'd say be the advice. Be the assistance. I have great appreciation for many of the generous people who have helped me in the past. I move to Ketchikan next month. Lord knows I'll be eating up every little tidbit of intel I can gather.

I have sought info on this board. I've recieved it too. When I'm hunting up north and the areas are unfamiliar than yup, feed it to me. Going into the Chugach was intimidating!

I just like to see people be bold and adventurous. It's Alaska and there are plenty of new areas to learn and explore.

The more I hunt, the more I've learned to appreciate the silence of a keen predator. Launching off information over the internet isn't always the best idea. It's a sin I'm guilty of for sure.

If I arrow a bull on Etolin this year I'll be sure to brag loudly though. Grin!

Happy exploring to all of you.

Thanks for the congrats Icb12 and I appreciate you having my back, but my guess is that wykee5 is as much of an asshat as I am a person hunting for a boyfriend. It is my fault that I allowed my sarcasm and apparent irritation to portray me as such a dick while simultaneously obscuring the point that I was trying to make. Which is that the best way to find out if a location has good deer hunting, is to go there and hunt deer there. The way I chose to word it detracted from the message, and the whole "leave the safety of the couch" is solid advice and not a tear down, it applies to me as much as to the next guy. I've passed countless hours scouring topo maps and other sources to give me clues, but when opening day rolls around you have to "lace 'em up" and hit the timber. What I don't get is how am I the odd duck that wants to keep "spots" on the D.L.? This forum is great, Private Messages and Email do wonders, telephones are great too. Right now all a guy has to do is type "Deer on POW" into google and you can come up with this thread right at the top. Sorry for being offensive.
    Alpine is awesome...

I'll chime in ... I have been on Shrubby Island before. I logged there in 1972 ... or was it 73 !!!! During late spring snows I didn't see one upland animal track anywhere on the new roads we were building. Roading the Island for the first time. Actually the first cuts on the Island, except for the old beach hand loggers.

But times have changed ... I've heard tell of a few Elk taken out there. I guess some Deer could have swam there like the Elk did.

It ain't and probably won't ever be on my honey hole list.

Early season means high alpine ... that's where you'll find me, Beau (and his soon to be wife), Bighorse & icb12 ..... but none of you guys better be on MY MOUNTAIN !!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast