Thread: chest holster while bow hunting

Default chest holster while bow hunting

hi, just managed to pick up a new ruger toklat 454 and i am trying to decide how to carry it. i want to have it on while bow hunting, so what do you all do for that kind of carry? i am worried that the chest holster might interfere with draw and string travel when i shoot. anyone recommend a underarm or waist holster that can be worn with a backpack? thanks

Diamond D Leather Guides Choice all the way. I use one with my S&W 629 while hunting with my longbow and no problems. The rig is very adjustable so you can tailor it to your needs. A bit spendy, but definitely high quality.

http://www.diamonddcustomleather.com/
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Not saying a chest holster is a bad choice just don't carry it under a jacket.

A partner I had was a bow hunter and carry a 44 in a chest holster. One day he was walking through a swamp and a Grizzly heard him, thinking he was a moose went to him. When they met they were only a few yards apart. He could not get to the 44 because of the jacket and pack, so he walked in a circle until the bear was down wind and left. We were never told exactly what the bear smelled. LOL

Yeah, i've seen the diamond d holsters and really like them, but they say they are way out on orders because tey are so popular. May just have to order one and hope for the best this hunting season.

Place your order then go to Wal-Mart and get a cheapo Uncle Mikes belt holster till the chest rig comes in. Sometimes on the hip is desirable.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

that's pretty slick but I'd also be worried about string clearance. He tucked it under his left pit, which means that butts sticking out in a bad spot for me being a righty. Mud if you ever get up this way bring it with I'd like to take a few shots with it on. My string angle is much much lower than a wheel bows. The one nice thing about it would be it will keep your cloths tight. I know my luck, I'd blow the blasted bow up when I hooked the pistol lol.

Better yet, get some vid of you shooting with it on.

I bowhunt with my chest holster. Just practice a bit with it on to make sure it's not in your way. mine doesn't interfere. I carry my .460 on my chest while out. It has never given me any issues. I would just stick with the chest holster, but like was already said, make sure to carry it on the outside of the jacket.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374662324.489847.jpg

perfect 907pride, thats what i was wondering. i would hate to blow a perfect shot and possibly hurt myself because the holster was too thick.
    thought the same thing about a bino harness, but i can carry the binos sep for awhile, the gun for protection is far more important

I use the Diamond D Guides Choice and have had it on while bow hunting. I did not interfere at all with my shot on the black I took down.

+1 for guide holster and bowhunting. Just had one of the screws holding a strap come off in the Kenai river. Diamond D just shipped out 4 more to fix it for free. Time to put loctite on them.