Thread: JBER moose hunt 2013

Default JBER moose hunt 2013

Has anyone received permits in the mail yet? I am impatiently awaiting. I am like a kid on Christmas morning checking the mailbox everyday.I have been waiting a long time for this tag.

In the past you don't get your permit tag until you complete the orientation, pro shoot and pay the base use fee. What you will get is a notice of when the pro shoot and orientation is.

Quote Originally Posted by Halibut Chaser View Post
    In the past you don't get your permit tag until you complete the orientation, pro shoot and pay the base use fee. What you will get is a notice of when the pro shoot and orientation is.
    Thanks that's good to know!

Any word yet on when the available qualifying shoots will be?
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Try calling the JBER Wildlife Office at 552-0200 or 552-0190.

Mr. Graham with the JBER Wildlife office said that the permits were late being sent to him from ADF&G so he was currently working on getting the letters sent out to the recipients. He told me late July or early August to receive the letter. He also said that there would be two dates to choose from to complete the proficiency course, with one the dates the day before the opening day. His email was from 11 July.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow on opening day.

Good luck to you as well. I'll be hunting the Ft Rich side, but will wait a bit before I venture out. If you want to swap info as the season progresses, feel free to PM me.

I went out yesterday. Got soaked to the bone due to light rain in the morning and wet vegetation, but did find some fresh sign...Didn't see any moose.

This thread is dead, so I'll try and revive it...I was hunting alone yesterday and shot a meat bull last night at 8p. I was the only hunter in the area, so the quality of the hunt was excellent. I arrived home with ALL the meat by 2am this morning, which is incredible to me given I dealt with it alone. It is great to have the hunt so close to home. I used a mechanical broadhead, which was new to me this year. My total arrow/broadhead weight was 417 grains and my bow is set at 70 lb. The bull walked to within 12 yds of me, I put an arrow in his lungs, he walked 30 yds, bedded, I put a second arrow in him to minimize any suffering, and he died within minutes, and best of all, within 40 yds of a road. By the way, the officer mentioned there had been 4 bulls taken, and mine made it 5. I did not see/hear any signs of rut. Best of luck to the remaining tag holders!

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post
    This thread is dead, so I'll try and revive it...I was hunting alone yesterday and shot a meat bull last night at 8p. I was the only hunter in the area, so the quality of the hunt was excellent. I arrived home with ALL the meat by 2am this morning, which is incredible to me given I dealt with it alone. It is great to have the hunt so close to home. I used a mechanical broadhead, which was new to me this year. My total arrow/broadhead weight was 417 grains and my bow is set at 70 lb. The bull walked to within 12 yds of me, I put an arrow in his lungs, he walked 30 yds, bedded, I put a second arrow in him to minimize any suffering, and he died within minutes, and best of all, within 40 yds of a road. By the way, the officer mentioned there had been 4 bulls taken, and mine made it 5. I did not see/hear any signs of rut. Best of luck to the remaining tag holders!
    Nice work! I was just wondering the other day about hitting a moose with an expandable.. looks like they did the job for you!

They are definitely starting to rut. I was out on Saturday and I saw two bulls vying for the attention of a cow. It looked like she was going to have a hard time deciding so I helped make her decision easier.

Smile

I finally was able to stick one on Saturday. It was a easy pack (about 150 yards) Except he decided to go for a final swim before he dropped. He expired in a swamp in about waist deep water. I only had hip boats so it was a cold swim. Luckily I was able to float him to ankle deep water to butcher him. I had been hunting everyday of the season except for one day. I didn't see any big bulls the whole time I was hunting. My bull looked like a fork horn moose but he had a browtine on each side.133.jpg I am stoked to have a full freezer and my first moose with a bow. This was on the Elmendorf side. Good luck to the all other JBER tag holders.
    Last edited by fengib; 09-23-2013 at 16:05. Reason: typo

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by fengib View Post
    I finally was able to stick one on Saturday. It was a easy pack (about 150 yards) Except he decided to go for a final swim before he dropped. He expired in a swamp in about waist deep water. I only had hip boats so it was a cold swim. Luckily I was able to float him to ankle deep water to butcher him. I had been hunting everyday of the season except for one day. I didn't see any big bulls the whole time I was hunting. My bull looked like a fork horn moose but he had a browtine on each side.133.jpg I am stoked to have a full freezer and my first moose with a bow. This was on the Elmendorf side. Good luck to the all other JBER tag holders.
    Nice job, congrats!!!!!!!!

Congrats fengib! Had to die in waste deep water! At least it was early in the season. I had a tag for the Ft Rich side in 09, hunted my butt off. Had some close encounters (but not close enough), then finally connected on November 6th. Late winter that year as far as snow is concerned. It started that evening and finally stuck. It was frustrating, but I loved that hunt, I got to know JBER like the back of my hand. Congrats again!

Way to go fengib! Congratulations on your first bow moose, nice bull you got there!
    "Grin and Bear It"

congrats on the archery moose fengib! I pray to one day get lucky enough to draw a jber moose tag!

Thanks everyone I appreciate it! Now on to getting ready for my Kodiak hunt in a few weeks!