Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

Thread: Ticket from State troopers, I got one

  1. #1
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default Ticket from State troopers, I got one

    Got a $60 boat ticket from State troopers, registration expired.

    18' john boat.

    A warning for not the right safety gear.

    Warning for flares out of date. No horn or whistle. Worn float cushion.


    I don't have lights , & don't run the rivers at night .
    BUT (the regulation says day/night signal devices) (weird if you don't run your boat at night & have it set up for it)
    running at night I'd be wrong due to no lights & expired visual signal devices.
    (Ahh, venting my confusion of the law, feel better now)


    What are the options for Day/Night visual signal devices.?
    Non pyrotechnic / non expiration date, Day & night signal devices that meet the requirement.

    Is there one type that does both day & night & no expiration date.

  2. #2

    Default

    Just speculating, but I think they make electronic "flares". Essentially flashlight like devices with colored lenses. You would just need to make sure to have functioning batteries which would probably end up costing more to keep current than replacing a few flares.

  3. #3
    Moderator bkmail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer, AK.
    Posts
    4,124

    Default

    Not to my knowledge. Flares expire on a regular basis but work for both night and day.
    You still need lights regardless if you use them or not, on board.

    BK

  4. #4
    Member Bullelkklr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage Alaska
    Posts
    4,841

    Default

    what if you broke down on your way back - and needed some help or medical attention and it got dark - say at 2:45am....you'd be wishin you had some signalling devices.

  5. #5

    Default

    I think it is time for there to be a movement for rules for inland boaters. There is no reason for the guy boating the Little Su in his riverskiff needing a lot of that stuff - nor does the guy in Finger Lake. In fact,signaling anyone with an aerial flare in this dry hot weather would mean youare liable for the fire you started. Plus, nobody could see it anyway as there is no line of site in most situations you're going to be in. To sum it up, manyof the rules that apply out in the open water are just ridiculous on inlandwaters. Can you say revenue generator?

  6. #6
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,889

    Default

    The wistle part is easy. They are cheap too a USCG approved whistle is less than $5.
    Signal flags are still legal but for day use only.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  7. #7

    Default

    In this instance, the only revenue generated was the result of an expired registration. While the need for flares, etc. for inland boating may be debatable, the need for a current registration is not.
    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I think it is time for there to be a movement for rules for inland boaters. There is no reason for the guy boating the Little Su in his riverskiff needing a lot of that stuff - nor does the guy in Finger Lake. In fact,signaling anyone with an aerial flare in this dry hot weather would mean youare liable for the fire you started. Plus, nobody could see it anyway as there is no line of site in most situations you're going to be in. To sum it up, manyof the rules that apply out in the open water are just ridiculous on inlandwaters. Can you say revenue generator?

  8. #8
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I think it is time for there to be a movement for rules for inland boaters. There is no reason for the guy boating the Little Su in his riverskiff needing a lot of that stuff - nor does the guy in Finger Lake. In fact,signaling anyone with an aerial flare in this dry hot weather would mean youare liable for the fire you started. Plus, nobody could see it anyway as there is no line of site in most situations you're going to be in. To sum it up, manyof the rules that apply out in the open water are just ridiculous on inlandwaters. Can you say revenue generator?
    Talking with a local Trooper, he said the same.
    USCG has different rules for inland navigable water.
    Time to lobby our state reps & get them to come up with a logical set of regulations.

    Trooper just follow the laws on the books.

  9. #9
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    The wistle part is easy. They are cheap too a USCG approved whistle is less than $5.
    Signal flags are still legal but for day use only.

    Like I'm going to hear you blowing you whistle while running my Muddbuddy motor with my hearing protection on ,out on the Big Su.
    Or hear a whistle anytime when I'm standing in the back of the boat , holding on to the tiller handle wide open.

    Flags for day use, yet since my john boat don't have navigation lights, I can't run at night anyway but need night signal devices.
    Let alone who is going to run the river at night.

    Trooper said there are some Day/Night flares that meet the regulation.
    Trouble is they expire every 3 years.

    Have to laugh about the whistle though. Out legislators failedl High School "Logic" to think a whistle
    is going to help you navigate on the Big su in the fog. LOL

    Heading to Sportsman's for a "Coast guard approved whistle" & some day/night flares

    Wanting to be safe has nothing to do with following the illogical regulations.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    In this instance, the only revenue generated was the result of an expired registration. While the need for flares, etc. for inland boating may be debatable, the need for a current registration is not.
    I understand that. The point is that all the other stuff that really shouldn't be required on many inland lakes and rivers are revenue generators. You ran into a nice person that didn't ticket you. Consider yourself fortunate.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    Like I'm going to hear you blowing you whistle while running my Muddbuddy motor with my hearing protection on ,out on the Big Su.
    Or hear a whistle anytime when I'm standing in the back of the boat , holding on to the tiller handle wide open.

    Flags for day use, yet since my john boat don't have navigation lights, I can't run at night anyway but need night signal devices.
    Let alone who is going to run the river at night.

    Trooper said there are some Day/Night flares that meet the regulation.
    Trouble is they expire every 3 years.

    Have to laugh about the whistle though. Out legislators failedl High School "Logic" to think a whistle
    is going to help you navigate on the Big su in the fog. LOL

    Heading to Sportsman's for a "Coast guard approved whistle" & some day/night flares

    Wanting to be safe has nothing to do with following the illogical regulations.
    What you don't need NAV lights or a whistle???? LOL.....There are states that have inland waterway rules for safety and leave out the stuff you really need on big water. Speaking of big inland water, I think I would want all the currently required stuff, but taking the kids fishing on Nancy Lake in a 14 foot 10 hp Hewes and being required to have flares during the summer months is just plain stupidity. As is HAVING to have navigation lights on boats that only go out in the hours of daylight. I can hear all the "what ifs" right now......The fact is, until they modify the safety regs for inland waters, the only logical reason to leave things as they are is to generate revenue as there is no logic to many of the requirements.

  12. #12
    Member Frostbitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!
    Posts
    3,279

    Default

    Nav lights aren't necessarily designed or adequate to navigate in the dark, but they rather they are designed for other boats to be able to see you in low light / fog situations.

  13. #13

    Default

    I think most folks know what navigation light are for. Outside of the law requirement, you really don't need them during daylight hours on inland waters where it is a 3 minute boat ride back to the ramp. Nor, do you need them on most of the local rivers as it just doesn't really get foggy, or even dark during the time of year when most are boating - not that you'd see them anyway in thick fog.....for that you need radar and to be very cautious as you're well aware.

    All the safety items have a reason for sure and it is better to be over prepared than underprepared. All I am stating is that there are a lot of waterways in the state where one really will never use these devices as they are completely unecessary.

  14. #14

    Default

    Even in daylight, you can spot those flares for miles. If the only other boat out there is at the far end of the lake and you need his help, how ya gonna get his attention? Flares are about the best thing going. A radio would depend on him having one too, on the right channel, and turned on.

    When your flares go out of date, put them in your hunting or camping kit for emergency fire starters with wet wood. They're tops. I carry twice as many flares as required, and more than once I've been proud to have them.

  15. #15
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Nav lights aren't necessarily designed or adequate to navigate in the dark, but they rather they are designed for other boats to be able to see you in low light / fog situations.
    +1 for nav lights. (required to run a boat at night)

    And the Whistle is for me to hear you in the fog.
    Like said "On the Big Su, while running an outboard" .... I'm not gonna hear you, sorry.

    But pay the state of Alaska $60 if you d get caught without one (or a air horn)
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...s-risk-60-fine

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    the only logical reason to leave things as they are is to generate revenue as there is no logic to many of the requirements.
    Or, maybe it is to make it a lot simpler for the public to understand the regulations. Rather than a regulation that says something like, "if you are on a lake no wider than 1/2 mile and traveling between the hours of 6am and 10pm in the months of May-July, then you need these safety devices, but if you are on a larger lake .... " Yes, they could make all sorts of special regs that address each possible type of water or time of day for specific times of year or they could stick with a more generic, easier to understand rule that may not be perfect for all situations but easier to enforce and understand.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy;1306840
    And the Whistle is for me to hear you in the fog. :lol:
    Like said "On the Big Su, while running an outboard" .... I'm not gonna hear you, sorry. :)

    But pay the state of Alaska $60 if you d get caught without one (or a air horn)
    [URL
    http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/boaters-who-forget-their-whistles-risk-60-fine[/URL]
    True, you might not hear it if you are running full out, but that is not the only time someone might be using it. If they are in distress, a whistle or air horn blast will carry a lot further than a yell.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default I sure hope they never huntify the boating rules

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Or, maybe it is to make it a lot simpler for the public to understand the regulations. Rather than a regulation that says something like, "if you are on a lake no wider than 1/2 mile and traveling between the hours of 6am and 10pm in the months of May-July, then you need these safety devices, but if you are on a larger lake .... " Yes, they could make all sorts of special regs that address each possible type of water or time of day for specific times of year or they could stick with a more generic, easier to understand rule that may not be perfect for all situations but easier to enforce and understand.
    I agree and believe you're right, but still had to laugh.... To stick with your example, I would continue to say:

    ...an audible audio signal device capable of being heard xxxxxx...... unless you're in unit 13C in which case it only needs to be XXX loud, or gmu 14, where it needs to an airhorn (no whistles allowed), unless you're North of the Arctic Circle in which case it need only be xxxx loud.....

    In other words, we could just make the boating rules a lot like our hunting rules are now.

  19. #19
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Got the flares. (day/Night) $40, Whistle $5.60, Paid the fine $60. Registered the boat $44.40.

    Over $100 to State of Ak. It's about the money, I know that.
    But just an retired old guy, with an old john boat that likes to go fishing.
    Getting tougher & tougher to justify.

    License, Gas & Boat launch not included. Fishing getting to cost more & more.

    We live in more of an Oligarchy than a Democracy

    Got the stuff. Boat is road & water legal. Ready for silvers
    Attached Images Attached Images

  20. #20
    Member mudbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alaska, Mat valley
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Or, maybe it is to make it a lot simpler for the public to understand the regulations. Rather than a regulation that says something like, "if you are on a lake no wider than 1/2 mile and traveling between the hours of 6am and 10pm in the months of May-July, then you need these safety devices, but if you are on a larger lake .... " Yes, they could make all sorts of special regs that address each possible type of water or time of day for specific times of year or they could stick with a more generic, easier to understand rule that may not be perfect for all situations but easier to enforce and understand.


    I'm in Alaska
    I have no desire for the government to try to protect me with regulations.
    Laws take away freedoms. The less rules the better.

    Having a whistle in my boat is not going to make me safe, safer or a better boater,
    that's what the gray matter between the ears is for.

    My 11 year old grand daughter figured it out pretty quick.
    She asked:
    "What if you fall out of the boat or the boat sinks? The whistle & flares are in the boat"

    FACT IS:
    It's about the money

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •