Thread: Just registered for our first event

Default Just registered for our first event

Just registered for the Aug 2 Field Trial. This will be mine and, I'm pretty sure the dog's first event. I've enver seen a Field Trial before. Hope it goes well.

Oh boy. Jumping in head first into the deep end of the pool.
    Bring a white coat.... you may need it.
    I'm training up there tomorrow and Weds. Preparing to run some of my clients dogs in the Qualifying. I'll be glad to show you what you are in store for. What did you sign up for? Derby, Qualifying and etc.

There is a field trial up there this weekend. You are signed up for the one the following weekend. You should come up and watch.
    Also, keep in mind there is a nahra hunt test going on the weekend of aug 10 and an akc Hunt test going on I think weekend of the 20th.
    If you've never seen a field trial before... you are about to learn a lot. Especially into what these retrievers are capable of at a high level of training.

I just looked you up on entry express. I think I know who you are. Unless he has had a year or more of advanced training he isn't ready for a field trial. I still encourage you to come watch. Contact entry express and explain to them that you are meaning to sign him up for a hunt test. If this is the dog I remember a Junior would be an entry level for an AkC Hunt test. On entry express you can select field trials or hunt test on left column. Then scroll down to the hunt test in august for Alaska. Have entry express switch you over.
    Also go to msgda website. There you can find info about signing up for there test. Started level or maybe a Hunter stake for this guy.
    I'll be glad to explain the differences to you. Hope I have helped you out.

HT are more forgiving on the dog and the handlers than the FT's are.
    “You touch my junk, I'm going to have you arrested.” - Groping objector

Hi folks, just got back from Kasilof.

Baron, yeah...it's the dog and I'm probably who you think I am LOL.

I didn't think he was "ready" for Field Trials, and, to be honest, I'm not a big fan of the Field Trial format (judging against other dogs instead of judging against a standard as in a Hunt Test.) Problem is, and this is why we signed up for this one is this was the only event we could fit into our summer schedule, and my son (11 ys old) really wants to see the dog run in contest. I've explained to him that "his" dog will be the oldest dog out there, the least experienced, and won't win; that we're just doing this for fun and because the dog will have fun with it, too.

We're out of town both the coming weekend and the weekend of the 10th. (We're bird hunting with the dog on the 10th.) My son returns home to FL on the 15th, so this was the only opportunity.

I've seen a Nahra Hunt Test, and I liked that event. I think my dog can do that.

I signed up for Qualifying because that was what Betsy told me to sign up for and the AKC rules stated Qualifying was for a dog that hadn't won 1st-4th etc etc.

Baron, where is that place, and when will you be there on Weds? I have some other commitments tomorrow, but I'd like to come out if I can fit it in. Probably will leave the dog home.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to need some help finding that event/location. Entry Express says it's "Lyon Creek Trailhead." I've searched the web, both within the Chugach Forest site, and Google searched the web at large. The only returns for Lyon Creek is a place in California. It comes up "0 results found" on the USFS site. I've never heard of it.

At the top of the hill there are the two rest stops one on each side of the road. Lyons Creek is about half a mile past the rest stop. It's easy to miss the turn out with the road construction going on there. Past the rest stop on the right heading South. The map on the premium isn't to good.

You should see some trailers parked in the parking lot off the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    At the top of the hill there are the two rest stops one on each side of the road. Lyons Creek is about half a mile past the rest stop. It's easy to miss the turn out with the road construction going on there. Past the rest stop on the right heading South. The map on the premium isn't to good.

You should see some trailers parked in the parking lot off the highway.
    Top of what hill?

Quote Originally Posted by FL2AK-Old Town View Post
    Top of what hill?
    going up turnigan pass, about 10 miles south of portage. Really, it is easy to find, and for the trial, they will have signs out. good luck, but most of all, have fun. Bud
    Wasilla

Default Well that went well...NOT! =)

Just back from the qualifier where we washed out VERY early, but overall, a positive, valuable experience for both my son and I.

We didn't do well, but it could have been a lot worse. My dog has always been very "excitable" around other dogs and around birds, and while he whined A LOT, I didn't see the lunging to sniff, running up to/after other dogs that I often see at the local park. However, he was so excited that my 11 yr old son really couldn't handle him. For the first time in his life, he recognized and admitted he was over his head and asked for help. The trip was worth that alone. So I ended up being the handler.

My dog also has a habit of launching as soon as I pull the trigger-something we've been working on-and I didn't have that problem today either so hurray for small victories.

What really dismayed me was that he didn't find a single bird. Granted, those were long runs, especially compared to our usual routine, but I was sure he'd bring birds back. That makes me wonder if, when we're working and training, is the dog just playing fetch? I'm also disappointed that he didn't respond to a single whistle command; he was doing that perfect just yesterday morning.

Anyway, nice folks, Barbara from Fairbanks (I hope I got her name right) as very helpful. I'm surprised at how many extra rules I was unaware of, and I wonder if the Hunt Test has that many rules as well. I doubt I'll do a Trial again, but I plan to be at the Aug Hunt Test.