Thread: Colt Anaconda and Heavy Hardcast Boolits.....

Default Colt Anaconda and Heavy Hardcast Boolits.....

I'm on several different shooting forums but you all seem to have the most experience with big bore revolvers, so here is the question.

I dont have usual need for any of the Corbon, Garrett, BB hardcast loads but would like to get a box or two just to have. I currently have a 4" Colt Anaconda. Everything I have read so far says that the Anaconda is every bit as strong and well made as the Ruger and S&W's and can handle the hot and heavy rounds/boolits just as well. What say you? Dont want to destroy a real nice Anaconda and dont what to have to buy a Super Redhawk either. If you owned a Colt would you shoot the "bear" loads out of yours without worries? thanks.

My bad. Wrong forum. Please move to the handgun forum.. Sorry.

I don't think you'd have any problem with any of the bear loads whatsoever. I had a Colt Kodiak (wish I still did) and I never had any troubles with it at all. Don't think the Anaconda would be any different

Quote Originally Posted by Skrap View Post
    I'm on several different shooting forums but you all seem to have the most experience with big bore revolvers, so here is the question.

I dont have usual need for any of the Corbon, Garrett, BB hardcast loads but would like to get a box or two just to have. I currently have a 4" Colt Anaconda. Everything I have read so far says that the Anaconda is every bit as strong and well made as the Ruger and S&W's and can handle the hot and heavy rounds/boolits just as well. What say you? Dont want to destroy a real nice Anaconda and dont what to have to buy a Super Redhawk either. If you owned a Colt would you shoot the "bear" loads out of yours without worries? thanks.

I've had the same handgun for about 15 years, now. No problems, whatsoever. I don't shoot it a lot & generally use "light" 240 factory loads, if I'm going to target shoot. I usually burn a couple heavy loads every spring, just to check the sights & have probably actually shot 40-50 heavy loads in it.

Choot'em Junior!

I think the Colt is probably the best of the 3 major revolver makers out there. Oops two major revolver makers-wish Colt still made revolvers.

If an SW can do it, I'm sure the Colt can too.

The Colt has the longer cylinder like the Ruger SRH and can handle loading big bullets in the bottom crimp groove.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My Kodiak has done well with the garrett ACE bullets with no problems. I have had it for 20 years. I shoot my 500 sw more now but sometimes I still take the colt to the range.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I have the same Colt you mentioned and I have shot heavy cast loads in it for years, Never a problem. If you decide to sell yours I'd love another one.

Great info fellas. Gives me some peace of mind that I should be GTG. Much appreciated.

And because of this place I'm read about the Guides Choice system and will be ordering it for my Anaconda in a month or so. Looks like a great rig.

Any of the bullets you've mentioned are within SAMMI specs for pressure and are safe to shoot in your revolver. The only things that will be injured by shooting them is your billfold and the recipient of the bullets. Enjoy....!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have an Anaconda and all I shot in it were cast bullets. I have often though of selling it as it has not been shot much but its such a sweet shooter! 83/8 barrel and its deadly

Is this a 44 mag, or 45 Colt? Not sure it makes a difference, but just curious.

I have read many times NOT to treat the Anaconda like a Ruger Redhawk or Super Redhawk. They're just not as strong.
    Stronger than an N-frame S&W, but not quite up to the Rugers. That's why they never made a 454 Casull Anaconda.

Back when the Anaconda was being made Freedom Arms was about it for 454.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Here's what Buffalo Bore says about its Heavy +P 44 loads:
    "Heavy .44 Magnum +P+ Ammo - 340 gr. L.F.N. - G.C. (1,478 fps/M.E. 1,649 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

NEW HEAVY 44 MAGNUM +P+

This new load is designed ONLY for certain firearms. They are as follows; Ruger Red Hawk, Ruger Super Red Hawk, Ruger Super Blackhawk or Vaquero, Freedom Arms Model 83, Taurus Raging Bull, Colt Anaconda and Dan Wesson Revolvers. Suitable rifles include T/C Encore, "modified" Marlin 1894 (see next paragraph), Winchester 1894, any rifle with a falling block action and the Handi Rifle. We get hundreds of emails asking if this load can be fired in S&W revolvers or some firearm other than what is in the above list. The answer is NO. The above list is all inclusive. If some shooters continue to irresponsibly use this product, we may have to discontinue it and that would be unfortunate as it is our best selling 44 mag. load and it gives great performance for those that use it responsibly however, as is always the case, irresponsible use of any product ends up penalizing responsible users. It would also be wise to read our “Technical Article” on “Dangerous Pure Lead Cowboy Bullets”, before using this (ITEM 4D) product."
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...ct_detail&p=54
    Last edited by OKElkHunter; 08-14-2013 at 16:05. Reason: highlight
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Maybe the caliber does make a difference. The warnings against using the Anaconda with "Ruger only" loads that I have seen are for the 45 Colt chamberings.

Hot 45colts loads still have less pressure than like hot 44mag loads.One of my loads was 25.5gr 296 under 320grHC 44 or 340grHC 45.The 45 showed much less pressure on the gun

Great info fellas. After the next commission check I'm gonna look at picking up a few boxes as it is starting to cool off enough to head to the desert and see how the old snake likes the heavies.