Thread: Canning Salmon

Default Canning Salmon

Can you can reds until the bones are soft in a pressure canner instead of having to take the bones out?

Also has anyone used the tin can method? Can you cook the bones soft?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Eatsleepfish View Post
    Can you can reds until the bones are soft in a pressure canner instead of having to take the bones out?

Absolutely. A significant portion of commercially produced canned sockeye (mostly done in cans) is bone-in.

Thumbs up

I have eight pints in glass jars cooking in the canner as I type. I remove the ribs from the fillets but leave in the pin bones . . canning renders them so soft they're not noticeable.

Have never used cans . . always use pints or half-pints for our canning . . 100 minutes @ 15# pressure.

Leaving the pin bones in will significantly increase the calcium content to the point where it is a recommended food for pregnant women, those with bone density deficiencies, or those who abstain from dairy or other high-calcium foods.

You can use the tin can method, just as long as they are salmon cans.. not just any old can is safe... leave the bones in, y ou won't even notice them.

What about canning the whole skeleton if you cut into steaks and left skin on and the backbone in? That's one of my favorite parts - the backbone I love when making salmon patties from store bought canned pinks.

What about canning the whole skeleton if you cut into steaks and left skin on and the backbone in? That's one of my favorite parts - the backbone I love when making salmon patties from store bought canned pinks.
    I've been through my share of canneries...and that's how they do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    I've been through my share of canneries...and that's how they do it.
    I know they do it like that in canneries but I was wondering with a pressure canner. I brought it up with me from the lower 48 and still need to adjust it, we were at over 8000ft previously.

I know they do it like that in canneries but I was wondering with a pressure canner. I brought it up with me from the lower 48 and still need to adjust it, we were at over 8000ft previously.
    It's the same basic process, just on a different scale...pack and lid the can, cook under pressure, cool properly, check to make sure of a proper seal.

Thanks guys. So now I'm looking to can them, where can I get my pressure canner checked and can anyone provide thier favorite canning recipes?

You can get your canner checked at many of the Alaska Cooperative Extension Service offices. More info here: http://www.uaf.edu/ces/foods/. Several suggested recipes can be found there too.

.......can anyone provide thier favorite canning recipes?
    1) Jalapeno & Onion (just add two to four slices of sliced jalapeno and some diced onion to each 1/2 pint jar)

2) Tomato & Basil (just add a few slices of dried tomato slices and a pinch of basil to each 1/2 pint jar)

3) Lemon & Dill (just add a thin slice of lemon and a pinch of dill weed to each 1/2 pint jar)

4 And, of course, smoked salmon. Nothing added. Just brine the fish in a brine of 1 cup pickling salt, 1 cup brown sugar, to 2 qts water for 1 hour, rinse, then smoke the fish for an hour for flavoring. Can with scaled skin or skinned fish. I prefer the skin since it comes out so moist, but the rest of my family prefers skinless, so I do a batch both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Leaving the pin bones in will significantly increase the calcium content to the point where it is a recommended food for pregnant women, those with bone density deficiencies, or those who abstain from dairy or other high-calcium foods.

Thats good to know

Add a tablespoon of mustard to a half pint. Add a tablespoon of franks hot sauce to 1/2 pint. One of our favs is 1tbsp of Kirkland salsa. Instead of smoking, I use a dash of smoke powder and 1/16tsp of salt to each jar. yes, the backbone will be soft and slightly crunchy. I use 12 pounds at 100 minutes. Let the pressure bleed off slowly all the way by itself. Don't start your timer until you have vented a few minutes of steam and let the weight get rocking good.

My favorite so far is smoking for an hour, peel the skin off, fill half a pint jar up with the smoked salmon - pour a 1/4 cup of soy sauce in - smash a clove of garlic and throw that in - throw some 1" x 1" purple onion slices in there - fill jar rest of way with smoked salmon - can at 12# for 100 minutes. And I leave the bones alone, cant even taste em.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.