Thread: Whats your favorite garden dish

Default Whats your favorite garden dish

Mudbuddy brought a few squash over and we enjoyed them. Cut off the top clean center out alittle, and then bake it in your oven covered with foil until done. Take FRESH tomatoes and cook them into mush, add garlic and cook the mush down on simmer, then add hamburger.
    Take squash out of oven, and put the sauce in it, layered with mozzarella cheese and topped with cheese too, cook until cheese just starts to brown a bit on top. Before you eat it top it with parmesan cheese.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool

A toss-up between beans (green or wax) and sweet corn.

With the pot simmering on the stove, pick enough for dinner, steam, and serve slathered with butter.

And if you happen to trip between the house and the garden, go back for fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    Mudbuddy brought a few squash over and we enjoyed them. Cut off the top clean center out alittle, and then bake it in your oven covered with foil until done. Take FRESH tomatoes and cook them into mush, add garlic and cook the mush down on simmer, then add hamburger.
    Take squash out of oven, and put the sauce in it, layered with mozzarella cheese and topped with cheese too, cook until cheese just starts to brown a bit on top. Before you eat it top it with parmesan cheese.
    Sure sounds good. My squash aren't doing much (yet) This is the first year I've tried to grow acorn squash and I think I've got a lot to learn (yet)...

When I read the title of the thread, I thought it referred to a specific dish that involves a trip through the garden, so that's what I imagined in my response. That said, my reply is 'stir-fry.' Whether Thai, Szechuan, or random curries, a trip through the garden for spinach, bok choy, carrots, broccoli, snow peas, etc. ,all lead to a sizzling wok with some moose, shrimp, or ???? in a tasty broth/marinade, thickened with some corn starch, flavored with some added items to the broth, some fresh basil, and the tastes of the primary spices affiliated with one or the other of the regions or styles of cooking referenced above.

Not specifically a Garden Dish per se.. my 6 yr old grandson would vote for raw carrots, dirt & all; the 10 yr old grand daughter would vote for raw peas; a 12 yr old grandson would vote for the strawberries. Personally, I'd vote for a Vegetable stew, made with the carrots, peas, turnips, a big of barley and some Moose.

Default Dishes

Another favorite of ours is fresh peas and potatoes, with a cheesy sauce, as a side dish. I have to eat this a couple of times per year at least.

Fresh peas while standing in the garden munching on them are awesome.
    Strawberries and raspberries also rock!
    Beans blanched and hot with butter are a favorite.
    Baby Yukon gold spuds boiled in saltwater and served steaming with butter are fantastic.

BK

Quote Originally Posted by mark oathout View Post
    Another favorite of ours is fresh peas and potatoes, with a cheesy sauce, as a side dish. I have to eat this a couple of times per year at least.
    I'd definitely have to agree with you on this.. Fresh Peas, baby spuds in a thick country gravey always remind me of my grandmother and back on the farm!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I'd definitely have to agree with you on this.. Fresh Peas, baby spuds in a thick country gravey always remind me of my grandmother and back on the farm!

New potatoes and fresh, English peas* are an annual treat around here . . just a plain, white sauce, skip the cheese . . nothing to interfere with the taste of the veggies alone.

In Texas, where my wife's from, green peas are caledl English peas to distinguish them from purple hulls, crowders, black-eyes, pintos, and such.

Default Dish

Marcus your right, my wife told me the one I like is just white sauce too, yum.
    Another deadly one is chili mac with fresh tomatoes instead of canned stuff, I am suprised I can eat so much without exploding.

Stuffed zucchini are hard to beat
    A Fresh salads with spinach, romaine, ruby red lettuce, onions & cucs as a side dish gives the meal multipliers for good.
    Add a broccoli pasta salad & you're in heaven

Had that 3 night ago. Memorable meal that you can't buy .

The fresh peas & potatoes sound mighty good !
    May go look for some baby spuds, getting some pea pods now too.

Moose with twins came by. Thank goodness they bypassed the garden.
    Small bull came buy 2 nights ago, around 1100 PM, jumped the fence got one bed of beets & 2 heads of cabbage
    before I chanced him out with the Pick up. Added some barbed wire, Im' suer he'll be back.
    Maybe he'll come back Aug 20th, spike fork I think . Make some fine moose burger
    Attached Images Attached Images