Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best out of the box factory rifle ?

Default Best out of the box factory rifle ?

What do you think is the best out of the box factory rifle ? Or if you was to build a gun what action would you use ?

"NOVESKE" for rifle. "TEMPLAR" for receiver.

For a Bolt Action.....a real "Pre 64 M-70 action" (Not a Pre-64 "TYPE" action, but a manufactured before 1964 M-70 action)

Well, lets see..... thats like asking what is the best car to buy. There is no right or wrong answer. Are you looking for accuracy or function? Looks? Trigger? Any brand can be great, any brand can suck. Also you need to mention a price range.

Remington 700 action.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska2go View Post
    What do you think is the best out of the box factory rifle ? Or if you was to build a gun what action would you use ?
    Hmmmmmmm.....lol

" Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Remington 700. Mine was .92" at a hundred with the first box. That was a 375 H&H to boot.

Weatherby come guaranteed MOA or under.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    Weatherby come guaranteed MOA or under.
    Good point.

As an underpriviliged Alaskan with only 4 CF rifles that I hunt with, My Choice would be a Weatherby Vanguard.

They're the best lookin, best made, and the best designed, IMHO.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

After Beartooth's recent work with the Marlin XL7, I'm going to name that one as best. Only reason is, I can put the price difference in my pocket and apply it to a future hunt. Sure there are "better" guns out there, but enough better to justify the extra cost? Not in my book.

Cooper model 52. Its a legitimate .5 moa rifle from the factory. It does under 1 moa with factory- any factory load. Sure its not a lightweight but
    its lighter than it looks.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Too many variables in your question.... best for what? Mountain hunting, DG hunting, just plain looks, outstanding accuracy?

I've got several rifles that I like a lot but each serves an individual niche for reasons that are important to me and within certain parameters- probably ONLY to me.

To re-phrase your question- "what single golf club is the best to play 18 holes?"... there's no real answer to that.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

The newer Winchester Model 70, especially the extreme weather model. I've seen 4 or them print sub moa at 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    After Beartooth's recent work with the Marlin XL7, I'm going to name that one as best. Only reason is, I can put the price difference in my pocket and apply it to a future hunt. Sure there are "better" guns out there, but enough better to justify the extra cost? Not in my book.
    These are worth trying as long as you don't want a magnum of some sort.

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    These are worth trying as long as you don't want a magnum of some sort.
    Yeah. I've got more magnums than common sense, but I sure have room for a general purpose gun. In the context of the question, I'm really attracted to the great function weighed against the low price. Sure I have more expensive guns (much more expensive), but they sure put a dent in the wallet and cost me some hunting trips while saving for them. I like the general concept of a rifle that works well, while alloying a guy to own it AND afford to do a little more hunting with the savings. The gun I get to hunt with is worth a lot more to me than one that has to sit in the rack for a year while I save up again for a hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    To re-phrase your question- "what single golf club is the best to play 18 holes?"... there's no real answer to that.
    If you can only have one, a 7 iron will serve you well. Our coach used to make us play a couple of rounds a year like that in high school. Sure made you appreciate your other clubs. Just like taking any period of time with only one rifle makes all the rest of them that much more appreciated.

The XL7 is amazing.
    The Weatherby Vanguard is amazing.
    The Ruger American is amazing.
    Many Savages fill that bill also (yes,even the Axis).
    These rifles are not refined or detailed, but they shoot well and don't cost a ton of money. They are great rifles right outa the box, no need to spend a ton of dough as you will run into people saying that they have problems with their high end rifles also. You are't going to be able to brag about these rifles much, but you can smile a bunch to yourself knowing you saved several hundreds, even thousands of dollars you can use for ammunition, travel, or even a companion rifle to go shoot with your wife or kid.

Lots of right answers are available these days. There are a few wrong answers out there as well. I'm surprised that there are 16 posts and no mention of the Tikka. Reasonable price, actions smooth as warm butter and triggers that are crisp and clean straight out of the box. Building a rifle with the action of your choice? Priceless.

Yip...Tikka out of the box....to build...depends upon what you want when you are done.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Browning x bolt.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by happytobeinAK View Post
    Lots of right answers are available these days. There are a few wrong answers out there as well. I'm surprised that there are 16 posts and no mention of the Tikka. Reasonable price, actions smooth as warm butter and triggers that are crisp and clean straight out of the box.
    I'd have to say that "reasonable price" is a pretty relative term......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast