Thread: Steering Issue?

Default Steering Issue?

Just bought a thunder jet with a 350 inboard, everything works great. Only problem is the steering on it is like driving an old truck without power steering. It turns all the way left and right but just real hard have to use two hands for sure. Doesn't matter on speed its the same. I am quite mechanically inclined but just looking for advice before I tear into it. Also looking for mechanic in Anchorage on jet unit just in case. looking for who is trustworthy and won't waste my time. Thank you in advance.

Needs a new steering cable.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

check and see what nozzle you have. if you have the older style stock nozzle with what looks like a rectangular outlet, then pony up and get a new style posi nozzle. scott and flopro make good ones, they run about 750 but will make your steering feel like power, better pick up and plane due to a more efficient design. check out meanchicken.net they are all about jet boating and have lots of very good threads

here's a picture of the scott that i have, made all the differencePicHamKodiak-paragraph2-280x206.png

If your steering cable is routed wrong it can do that or its pinched or broken somewere like the other guy said also check the nozzle it might have hit a rock and got all dinged up were it moves side to side

Also check the teflon o-ring where the nozzle pivots. When they get worn they can fall out of the groove and get pinched making it hard to turn. An easy check is to disconnect the cable at the jet and see what is binding.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Thanks for the advice, i do have the circular nozzle. looks like the scott pic that was posted. I will disconect the cable tonight and make sure that it is not the jet nozzle unit itself and check the teflon o-ring while im doing it. if it moves freely than i will replace the steering cable.