Thread: Never would've thought!

Default Never would've thought!

A little background on myself. I've salmon, trout and steelhead fished all my life. I've put hunting and fishing before everything else in my life. I'm now 35, still unmarried no kids, (well engaged).
    I'm working up north and my Fiancé is in Oregon until fall.
    I went to Oregon last week to visit her. While there I bought a 6wt and tried to learn how to fly fish. After numerous YouTube videos I attempted fly fishing for summer steelhead.
    I AM ADDICTED NOW!!!!!
    I hooked five fish and lost all of them. (Actually never even got close to landing one). Still it's all I can think of! I can't wait until we meet again, there's so much more to learn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Congrats! If and when you ever get over the "hump" of learning the basics, it can be more fun than any other kind of fishing. Sounds like you already have the biggest hump behind you. Lots more to learn for sure, but that will be true the rest of your life, even if you keep at it. And that's a big part of the attraction for most of us.

Just wait till you start tying your own flies! You'll be as nutty as the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Congrats! If and when you ever get over the "hump" of learning the basics, it can be more fun than any other kind of fishing. Sounds like you already have the biggest hump behind you. Lots more to learn for sure, but that will be true the rest of your life, even if you keep at it. And that's a big part of the attraction for most of us.

Just wait till you start tying your own flies! You'll be as nutty as the rest of us!
    I will start tying. I just learned my Fiancé use to Tie flys for her uncle who sold flys. I know she makes some killer yarn balls for steelhead

And so the addiction begins for anther one. Best advice I can give you, save up all your leave time for Sept/Oct to chase big bows!

It is an illness with no cure and I like it that way. You will find that you will buy rod after rod and will always need another one. Nothing better than catching a fish on a fly you tied. As soon as you master fly fishing it will throw you a curve ball wether if it is perfecting a roll cast or fishing sink tips. There is always another technique to learn.

GREAT! Another steelhead junkie in the making! Be fore-warned, it will consume you. You think it's bad now, just wait until you finally land your first. The memory will never stop haunting you. Welcome to the club fishcatcher541!

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    And so the addiction begins for anther one. Best advice I can give you, save up all your leave time for Sept/Oct to chase big bows!
    Well sir my contract ends in September.
    My fly rod and drift boat are waiting for me in the valley
    Hit me up if you want a boat ride!

no doubt land the first one and you're screwed! I think I've got marabou embedded in the carpet, the couch, and likely in my bed. I used to complain after tying 300+dz esl's a winter I'd never use one...low and behold we hammered kings this year with a low water esl steelie fly.

It gets really bad when you start looking at garments you can tear apart for flies, people start sending you pet hair, feathers from who knows what (and not a blasted one is worth tying with lol), and tidbits from something. And you sit there for hours thinking, man I know a fish will bite this! I just know it haha!

Buy good scissors (mulitple) and learn how to sharpen them, those 'yarn balls' (probably globugs I'd guess) will tear up scissors in a hurry!!!

Stay away from hair tying, you'll never get it all vacuumed up after trimming!!! If you do, look up Chris Helms stuff, he's da man! there was a fella here in town that had some pretty awesome hair flys on display Sure wish I could find him!!!

I remember the first fly rod setup I bought that was over $100. I said to my self, this is the only rod I need, I won't ever spend more money this on a set up(It was $300 haha), I won't ever need anything else! Hahahaha Well that didn't last! I got rod reel line combos worth $1500+! I hardly ever grab for conventional gear unless I'm fishing Kings but even then once you get one on the Swing its done! Steelheading is a whole other addiction in its self. Fly fishing makes you really think about the fish your targeting, the environment your in, that the fish are in, and how it's ever changing, day to day, hour to hour, minute by minute. You get addicted to the whole thing about it because its a challenge! Your mind frame changes even. Ever caught a Lingcod, ever caught a Lingcod on a Fly? Ever caught a Coho, ever caught one on a Fly? Ever caught a Tarpon, ever caught one on a fly? There's always a next level. That's what addicts me to fly fishing!
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Flyfishing for summer runs is fun - I completely understand your new addiction.

For more addicting fun, try it at night...

...or with dry flies.

THAT is addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post

For more addicting fun, try it at night...

...or with dry flies.

THAT is addicting.
    He Here's Mark trying to make us all salivate………………Nice fish!

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Well sir my contract ends in September.
    My fly rod and drift boat are waiting for me in the valley
    Hit me up if you want a boat ride!

Sure thing, thanks for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post

G Smolt, where did you catch that Steelhead? Judging from the background, it looks kinda like the Grand Canyon. I didn't know steelhead ran up the Colorado River. I thought that was too far South for them. Or is this another river somewhere?

Deschutes perhaps?
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Deschutes perhaps?
    That's my thought as well!

Those pictures were taken somewhere on this map.

May or may not have been in the shaded area...