Thread: Need a waterproof day pack. Looking for recommendations.

Default Need a waterproof day pack. Looking for recommendations.

About every 10 years or so I breakdown and buy a new pack. LOL I looked at Bass Pro and all they had was the Red Head stuff. Sportsmans had a better selection (all made in China) and the closest thing I saw that had what I was looking for was the Made In Vietnam Eberlstock X2.
    I have been using a Boyds but it isn't waterproof and although it is still ok I want to get a new day pack.
    This will eventually probably will get skeletonized and trimmed down to get attached to my metal external frame pack but I'm still on the hunt for a pack.
    Ideally the pack will have two long side pockets large enough to hold a liter bottle of water, have an exterior accessible pocket of at least 5"x8", weigh 2-3 pounds empty, be under 3200 cu", be camo, quiet and have some MOLLE. BTW I'm in Phoenix so mail order may be the way for me to go.

I have Eberlestock X2. I think it is a great day pack. I has a nice selection of pockets and capacity. It can also do a good job carrying your first load of meat. It worked well to carry front and rear quarters of a moose.

The pack is pretty waterproof. It did not have leakage after several days of light rain.

BUT, it will probably eventually leak. I bought a separate pack cover to protect the pack in really heavy/long rains

Attachment 72362

I don't think day packs need to be overly supportive, nor technical. It'd be one thing if you were carrying alot of weight.....but a day pack doesn't. Pretty hard to beat the waterproof ability of a sealine boundary pack in a smaller size.
    http://www.cascadedesigns.com/sealli...ffles/category

may not be "nascar-camo" but camo is overated IMO.

Might look at overboard packs. I use one for my day pack and like it.

I have a few large cascade designs packs and recently got a grundens rum runner pack. Used it about a dozen or so times so far and I am very happy with it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Surplus ILBE "Assault" packs are cheaper than dirt on ebay; I got one for $13 this year, love it.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Simms makes a pretty nice drybag day pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Fin Chaser View Post
    I have a few large cascade designs packs and recently got a grundens rum runner pack. Used it about a dozen or so times so far and I am very happy with it.
    My wife has a Grundens rum runner pack. She used it with great satisfaction on this past year's Iditarod when she was volunteering as a veterinarian. I'm probably going to get one; we both have the larger Grunden's duffle and they are top notch. If you have to have it camo (?) get some Krylon for plastic and get busy. It's one of the few backpacks that is really waterproof. These are sized nicely for loading in planes, and if I ever get on a float hunt, they'll go along.

You might check out NOMAR of Homer, AK. They make some very nice stuff. They may do a custom job for you. Wife and I found them while waiting for a fishing trip. One of those places I wanted to remember.

PRDATR,

Check out Watershed bags / backpacks @ dry bags.com. They are made in the USA and are top of the line in my opinion. They are lacking the side pockets and MOLLE you desire, but they do come in camo. They have a military and recreation line. I have been looking at ordering an "Animas" pack in digital camo. I also have a waterproof gun case from Nomar in Homer, AK and can attest to the quality of their product.

X2 for watershed. Best dry bags on the market bar none.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I have a Grundens and like it for a daypack. http://www.reddenmarine.com/grundens...FcR_QgodzmEAUQ

Sounds like what you are looking for is a frameless backpack @ 3200 ci; That's almost 14 gallons capacity. Many frame type backpacks don't hold 3200ci. An Every Day Carry type pack should/would be half that size around 15-1650 ci. much like a military rucksack. There are a lot of tactical EDC type packs on the market but most are Cordura nylon and not soft and quiet. Good luck in your quest for the perfect pack...!
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !