Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have your hunting ammo yet?

Default Do you have your hunting ammo yet?

I just got back from Sportsmans and I looked at the (lack of) ammo on the shelf. Just for giggles, I looked for 30-06 bullets. None, not one box, and no way to make any if you could because every reloading component is gone too. So, what's up? Is it just Sportmans and their usually poor inventory control, or, is there really that short a supply of ammo? I would be worried if I did not load my own ammo. There is a least 20% of the shooters using the 30-06 for hunting on this forum. Do they all have enough ammo for the upcoming hunting season? I would guess not.

By the way, if you shoot 300 ultra, you are covered just fine. This may be the only time in history that the less popular calibers are easiest to find.

Ya, finally found some at great northern guns. I was looking for Federal Premium 300 win mag nosler accubonds. The bad thing was that it was marked up 10 bucks a box!

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I shopped around for ammo in the valley for a few weeks because I bought a 7mm-08. I've seen that and 30.06 availaible most places that sell ammo (fred meyer, sw, 3 bears, walmart). May be a different situation now, I had some 7mm-08 loaded for me and I think I have enough leftover 30.06 to get me through this year.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

I got a couple of boxes of 30-06, 308 and 7mm-08 at Sportsmans in Wasilla a month or so ago. Just my lucky day as that should cover me for the year.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I'm working on that today!

loaded a 1,000 rnds while i was on Sick leave- and had to stay close to the bathroom.

Hopefully it's not "****ty" reloading

Chris

Gotta love those accubonds, might just go into the garage and load some. Now if only I could find some more rl-22

Quote Originally Posted by Fowlcarver View Post
    Gotta love those accubonds,

Ill let you know hopefully.. I just loaded some up of the 180gr variety for my 300 weatherby for my sheep hunt, this will be my first experience with them..

I feel pretty fortunate to have 7lbs of IMR4350, 3 of AA2200, 2 of RE17 and 1 of RE22 along with 1k each of Fed215, CCI450, and WLR's and enough brass to handle my normal shooting volume for the next several years. I have been hoarding it for a while now not wanting to do any plinking but I think we are coming out of the ammo crisis finally so I am loosening up a bit and starting to shoot now.

I will be stockpiling more during normal periods in the future though for sure!!

I talked to someone at one of the larger discount stores in Anchorage over the phone last week. Told the guy at the hunting/shooting counter that I have a caribou hunt coming up, and wanted to get his thoughts on .338 ammo being back on the shelves by then.

He said they should have some on the shelves by mid-August, and also said that the smaller specialty shops in Anchorage seem to get their ammo a little sooner than his store, so I should be good to go.

I don't think this shortage will completely end till we get a different president, and then only if that person is not the anti-gun freak Obama is! We are in for a long 3 and a half years or more.
    SW always seems to have 30 aught here in Fbks. I have stocked up and now also save my brass. Powder and primers are hard to get here. The other big game cals I shoot are always in stock and I have extra of them also. I keep an eye out for 30 cal type powder and large rifle primers and buy when I see it. I currently only reload one cal but will be ready to reload others if it becomes necessary.
    I would recommend anyone who takes hunting and shooting seriously to purchase relaoding equipment and learn to use it. Depending on commercial ammo could bring you up short some hunting season.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I have enough to last for several years.
    Now what ?

It's the usual stupidity at Sportsman's. I was in there Friday and asked a question about ammo availability, and the guy told me they messed up their distribution, hadn't had an ammo shipment in two weeks, and didn't expect one until at least this coming Wednesday.

Sportsman's has been having financial troubles for a while now, and have had to close stores in the lower 48; I can't wait for Bass Pro and Cabela's to come in to Anchorage and finish these guys off.

Sportsman's in Anchorage happened to have Speer 416 bullets in stock and Boondocks had 458 brass the same time I had cash so I stocked up. Made 50 new rounds of 416 Taylor. Test fired 5 rounds of it to verify it's performance with the new scope and it was perfect. Not much that can't be killed with 45 rounds of safari caliber. I'm getting to actually prefer ammo that only is reloaded. I haven't bought factory 44 mag ammo in 3 years. Sportsmans in Anchorage has been depressing. Better luck at Great Northern or Boondocks.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Anyone have a source for bench rest primers? Pm would be great. So no I haven't loaded them yet. I have enough components to sweat out this year but I am way tired of empty shelves....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I think the people who want & need ammo have shot themselves in the leg, by responding poorly towards those with ammo available.

Boondocks in Eagle River. Lots of stuff on the shelves last week.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Sure powder, bullets and primers have been spotty, but if you want to find them, you can. I've been collecting powders, bullets and primers since about March to reload for my rifles. I now have enough of all three to load for my three main rifles and two pistol calibers for the next 20 years easy. I should add that I'm not hoarding stuff or buying these places out either. I'll pick up a pound or two of powder every month or so, 100-200 primers a few at a time, etc.

If theres a place that carries components on your way to or from work, make it a point to stop and take a look a couple days a week. Figure out what days they typically get shipments in and focus on those days. Also, I've done a bit of selling and trading with forum members and have met a bunch of good people that way. I will only sell stuff for exactly what I paid for it, and make sure any trades I make are even in value.

As far as people shooting themselves in the leg, maybe, maybe not, but I will never pay an individual a large profit for ammo or components knowing that they are buying stuff to sell at inflated prices. Why encourage that kind of behaviour? I'd prefer to deal with people on the up and up with a handshake and feel good that I'm not ripping anyone off.

Yep just loaded up 50 rounds a piece for my wife and I...should be good to go for a few years.

When you only need to shoot 1 or 2 rounds a year, ammo tends to last longer. I am good for another 16 plus years. lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast