Thread: Insect question

Default Insect question

Sorry not really about fly fishing.....just an Alaska insect that is double evil looking. It is about 1 1/2" to 2" long, looks like a wasp and has shiny black and bright orange bands. It looks like a wasp from hell. What is it.

I believe what you are describing is known as a "Horntail" or "Wood Wasp". They are truly evil looking but my understanding is they don't bite or sting.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Sorry not really about fly fishing.....just an Alaska insect that is double evil looking. It is about 1 1/2" to 2" long, looks like a wasp and has shiny black and bright orange bands. It looks like a wasp from hell. What is it.
    Did you make it flat?

Lightbulb

Google "wood wasp pictures" and check it out . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Google "wood wasp pictures" and check it out . . .

NO......not it...........This thing looks like a Coral Snake. http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...va=coral+snake

Here is a link to a dichotomous key that might get you there: http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-key.asp
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

It is a "GIANT" Wood Wasp. Black & Orange........no yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Did you make it flat?
    I flatten every one of those I see, and they are die hard too, so make sure you flatten it good or they'll come back to life. A guy told me that one of those very same kind of orange and black insects from hell tried to sting him on the arm....I don't know if he had a wooden arm or what, but none the less, they don't look or act very friendly. The pic below is the the kind of "whatever it is" that I usually flatten.

Attachment 72336
    "Grin and Bear It"

I wing shot it with a load of #9 and then I slit its throat........

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I flatten every one of those I see, and they are die hard too, so make sure you flatten it good or they'll come back to life. A guy told me that one of those very same kind of orange and black insects from hell tried to sting him on the arm....I don't know if he had a wooden arm or what, but none the less, they don't look or act very friendly.