Thread: chitina to cordova

Default chitina to cordova

I too am curious about the ability to follow the old copper river railroad to cordova. I met one person that said it is a no go due to bridges that have burned down and the rivers they crossed are impassable otherwise. Anyone know the deal down there?

Default before the washouts and mudslides

you could easily travel down to the Tsina river. that one is too big to cross. with the obrien crk. bridge being gone now, and all the slides, it would be tough getting that far.

Default Road condition

Check out the Outdoors section in the Anchorage Daily News, www.adn.com

There's a story and half-dozen photos of road damage (slides, holes, ice) that looked grim for the writer & his bike. ATV would be out of the question for awhile.

I know hikers and bikers have done this trip, but they must have used pack rafts to cross the Tsaina. However, for ATV's there are bigger issues than just the missing bridge to deal with.

I've drifted it a few times, and can see where there is a large section missing some miles below the Tsaina River. Probably 3-5 miles of it has been taken out by the Copper. You can see the old rails drop off into the river in one spot and a few miles later re-emerge. This is just accross from the lower half of Bremner Flats if you know where that is. Unless someone someone has created a trail where there never has been you would be bushwacking that whole section.

From what I saw last fall you would need to float past a lot of missing sections. There are quite a few stretches with rails hanging in the water from the Tiekel (not Tsaina) to the Bremner. I also did not think the grade had been cleared all the way to the Tiekel. Where ever the old rail grade was, has been completely overgrown with brush and trees. It is easier to walk beside the grade than on it in many places at the southern end.

Personally, I would love to see this opened up for ATV use, but it has become such a political football, I doubt it will happen any time soon. The last I heard there was some early state planning (or at least discussion) about pushing a road down the Tiekel Valley from the Richardson Hwy to the Copper River, and from there to the Million Dollar Bridge. I'd like to see that too, but not everyone in Cordova is a fan of public access. Too much Alaskan riff-raff I guess.

Default ATV to Cordova

I am not really familiar with the area but from what I have read and heard it would make a great ATV route. Putting in bridges would make it a spendy trail though, be tough to get through.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.