Thread: Anyone heading to Chitina Sunday and Monday??

Default Anyone heading to Chitina Sunday and Monday??

Trying to assess the amount of traffic heading to Chitina tomorrow and Monday. We usually try to fish on Sundays and the wee hours on Mondays, in hopes of dealing with substantially less traffic, with the charters not running on those hours, etc.. I've heard the water level is up, but haven't heard if it has continued to rise, has leveled off, or is maybe even dropping a tad.. (A person can always hope, right?) My daughter hasn't netted any fish on her individual permit, though mine is complete, though absent any supplemental fish, and it looks as though we won't be doing the Kenai this year, so it's back to Chitina for us.. Likely biking in tomorrow, or trying from the beach again. So who's heading that way???...

Hems report wasn't very good today..if u don't have to go tomorrow u might want to wait a week ...too bad more people don't leave reports when they get back...the only way to get fish is have your net in the water

Thanks Brother Francis. A couple weeks ago, another friend and I were slaying them from the beach, not having to pedal in, and left a report when we got back. Yes, it'd be helpful if others left reports, but at the same time, it can change in a heart-beat, too. Or even from hole to hole, there can be a huge difference. Judging by PMs with another forum member, and my inquiry as to the sonar numbers 9-13 days prior, it seemed like the 'fish traffic' should be respectable, not withstanding water level, channels, etc. Admittedly, I didn't check the sonar numbers myself, as I no longer appear to have that link in my favorites, instead relying on the helpfulness and expertise of a long-time forum member who is highly regarded where Chitina's fishery is concerned. That said, as we all know, there's a reason they call it 'dishing' and not 'catching.' ;^>) We'll see what happens. The truck's loaded, I'm depleted for energy/sleep as is common for me in these events (I don't think I'd know how to act at Chitina if I were to ever arrive with sufficient rest under my belt), and we're pulling out of here within the hour, if I have my way. If someone would help to keep the boreal cattle/swamp donkeys off the road, that'd be most appreciated. ;^>)

Quote Originally Posted by ruffle View Post
    Trying to assess the amount of traffic heading to Chitina tomorrow and Monday. We usually try to fish on Sundays and the wee hours on Mondays, in hopes of dealing with substantially less traffic, with the charters not running on those hours, etc.. I've heard the water level is up, but haven't heard if it has continued to rise, has leveled off, or is maybe even dropping a tad.. (A person can always hope, right?) My daughter hasn't netted any fish on her individual permit, though mine is complete, though absent any supplemental fish, and it looks as though we won't be doing the Kenai this year, so it's back to Chitina for us.. Likely biking in tomorrow, or trying from the beach again. So who's heading that way???...
    Dipped yesterday(saturday), two nets, two non sup limits, almost. Had to throw a few kings back otherwise it would have been. 12, Hems Charter, below canyon. Another pair got mid 50's as well, one guy got 9, another group got 32. Guys dipping obrien mouth got 4 in 13 hours, pair stayed overnight Fri to sun morning got 30.

Fish are a little deeper, had to dip 2-3 feet lower, eddies kept shifting almost every hour, dipped multiple areas according to current shift, water rose, weather beautiful, got couple fish that had infected seal bites but good eaters. Sizes vary, not as consistent size as last year. About same as year before that. Most fishing holes underwater.

I used my net that currently has 27 zip ties from a thrashing king, no issues. Ya I went there.

One stop closed. Store up the hill under new management, they are actually open at set hours. Spare net with fiber poles $130.

Have fun and good luck!

Technically 1 net in water. One person dips, gets one, hands netted fish back and picks up second net. Second guy takes netted fish, gills, strings and puts net in water. Slower processor stays in better producing hole. That way faster one is doing work but there's always a net in the water. If it's slow, faster person can dip at same time.

5 guys 3 nets fished from boat, 180 reds and a few kings. We always fish above the bridge substance. Have to say this year was one of the hardest fishing years yet with the water so high. We fished for about 12 hr. There were lots of spots we had to on or knees to touch the bottom and some times that wasn’t good enough. Good fishing just have to work for it this year.
    king1.jpg

Thanks for the posts...greatly appreciated by those of us still planing a trip

Arrived with zero sleep, as is par for the trip. Water still very high, compared to a couple weeks ago when fishing was red hot (pun intended..). Reports form most persons were as dismal as I've heard this year. Spoke with one group of 3 (??) who had gone down via charter the day before, and between them they'd netted 9 fish (-That's- some expensive salmon, folks!!). As stated earlier, I'd already caught my 30-fish base limit, and was planning on trying to fill the limits for the back-to-back supplemental harvests (an additional 20), while my daughter was attempting to fill one single-person base limit of 15 fish, and two supplemental harvests. What we achieved was a repeat of the immediately previous road-weariness, some father-and-daughter time that had languished as of late, some decent snacking and eating, and my lowering my stress threshold a touch, letting my daughter drive my truck while I slept off and on in the passenger seat; something I don't do a lot of, having been dumped off the back of my own motorcycle about 40 years ago, and having played mail-box roulette with too many drunk drivers when I was a hitch-hiker back in that same time period.. She got us home alive, with me sleeping about 50% of the time she drove, waking long enough to tell her where each nook, cranny, frost-heave, and ripple is in the pavement on the way home.. Which she tolerated with substantial grace.