Thread: Cape Chacon S. end of POW

Default Cape Chacon S. end of POW

New to the Ketchikan area and going to try to take the family over to Cape Chacon area for a week on the boat. I would appreciate any info on the area for fishing, weather and tides to pay attention to. We plan on anchoring up in Nichols Bay at night, any info here would be appreciated to . Thanks Kirk

Keep on eye on your weather. I'm sure as you know, the water can be a nightmare from Chacon to ketchikan should it kick up. A week is a long time to know what's going to kick up. Make sure to listen to the WX daily. You got a partner boat you are running with? Make sure you have a plan should you drain your batteries. A pull start kicker with an alternator or a battery jumper pack can come in really handy when you get clicks when you turn that key.

Good luck. Fishing is unreal. I heard there is a pile of kings at Muzon, so I figure they'll be at Chacon too.

Buy a chart.
    About 10-20 miles from Chacon to the west are the pinnicles.

They are on not on the Cape Chacon chart.
    They were on the next chart to the west.
    It was not to far in good weather.
    We caught halibut, lings, big reds and mooched silver salmon while bottom fishing.

Beautiful Spot. I'm no expert having only been there once but I will echo the calls to be careful. Also, if you do decide to go around the corner to the west side of POW be aware that there is a lot of current and water moving around down around the southern tip. I know I'm probably repeating what you already know but look at the chart before hand, read the coast pilot or other sources and decide ahead of time which bays are going to offer you protection from different wind directions so you can be anchored up in a good bay for the prevailing wind if it gets bad. If you get a chance to go to shore I'd recommend walking into the woods a few hundred yards as some of the beaches there I don't think have been logged and the trees are absolutely amazingly big and serene.

I made a mistake. The direction from Cape Chacon to the Pinnicles is to the East not the West.

Caught a few off of Duke Is. on our trip, this one is a 70# my daughter caught.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Caught a few smaller ones over by Stone rocks. Lots of whales.

a few more pics, the weather was unbelievable