Thread: High Number of Sockeye = Low Numbers of Chinook and Coho? Any Correlation?

Default High Number of Sockeye = Low Numbers of Chinook and Coho? Any Correlation?

This is probably a long shot, but over the last 5-10 years I can't help but notice the fact that the number of king salmon and coho salmon continues to decline, while the number of sockeye salmon continue to increase. It makes me wonder if we seem to been missing the obvious. I know there is all this speculation out there as to what is causing the decline of kings and cohos. I have heard everything from climate change, commercial fishing, loss of habitat, introduction of invasive species like pike etc. What if there is some type of competition going on between sockeyes and kings and cohos. I know sockeyes spawn in lakes and kings and cohos spawn in the rivers, so it is probably not spawning habitat. What about a food source? To the best of my knowledge, juvenile kings, cohos, and sockeye all rely heavily on plankton and crustaceans in the ocean. Perhaps something has caused an imbalance between the species which has caused the sockeyes to thrive, while the chinooks and cohos struggle.

The overall temperature of the oceans has decreased, better place for reds and worse for kings and silvers

sent from my igloo

Default ask Uncle AL

I though the oceans were warming up, hence we see warm weather fish further north.

But rather than getting mixed up in the reality of things, let us just do like AlGore does and blame all the woes of the world's climate on "climate change" whatever that is.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    The overall temperature of the oceans has decreased, better place for reds and worse for kings and silvers

sent from my igloo
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Start with the PDO, which switched to a cooler/cold state around 2005. It has been shown to be associated with changes in catch between AK and the PacNW for salmon stocks. A Warm PDO has high catch in Ak, low in the NW, and a cold PDO has low catch in the NW and high in AK. Also, this is a very quiet solar cycle, and there is a correlation between quiet solar cycles and cooler temperatures.

In other words, natural variation.