Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It is all about the commercial fishery

Default It is all about the commercial fishery

I would like to thank ADF&G for continually having emergency openers for both set net and drift net at the mouth and korking off the river for the personal use and sport fisherman it seems as though it is all about the commercial fish industry once again. It would be nice to have more than a few hours where fish are allowed into the river.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Wow...you're a tough son of a gun to impress!!!!! Almost a million fish in the river already.....but not enough?

In case you haven't noticed, there are already more Sockeye in the Kasilof river than will produce an optimum return in future years. If the pace keeps up, the Kenai is soon to follow. 395,000 Sockeye have swam up the Kasilof. 914,000 have swam up the Kenai, and 3,500 per hour are swimming by the counter today. Gimme a break, man.

If you haven't been able to catch fish this year, fishing probably isn't your thing. You should save yourself lots of time and probably some money and just buy fish from one of those gillnetters. Both rivers are absolutely full of Sockeye right now. More than enough for everyone.

Thumbs up Good luck . . .

Quote Originally Posted by akarrows View Post
    I would like to thank ADF&G for continually having emergency openers for both set net and drift net at the mouth and korking off the river for the personal use and sport fisherman it seems as though it is all about the commercial fish industry once again. It would be nice to have more than a few hours where fish are allowed into the river.

While sympathetic, akarrows, please keep in mind that there's a huge difference in having enough fish in the river and having them there when you want them and at your convenience.

As has been stated above, it is most assuredly not about the "commercial fish industry once again." There are fish aplenty and more besides in the river.

Best wishes for your continued effort . . .

I've been here at the Kenai River mouth for several days now, gathering info on the Dipnet fishery, and have noticed little or no discernible difference in the numbers being caught by dippers, whether or not the boats were out. Contrary to posted opinion, the comm guys do not "cork the river off". Not by a long shot. One boater I spoke with talked of getting 52 fish in fifteen minutes! An exaggeration to be sure, but one that speaks to the large numbers available to dipnetters in the river.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Yep I see the numbers are coming in and have friends and I even spent the day down their on a boat and did not get to many fish and everyone was reporting very slow fishing except for the day 240000 plus went through the counter. I am just trying to gauge my next rip to dip some fish and have historically found the fishing is slow to dead when the have the emergency openers. I guess I would like to see a few days without an emergency opener

Yep I see the numbers are coming in and have friends and I even spent the day down their on a boat and did not get to many fish and everyone was reporting very slow fishing except for the day 240000 plus went through the counter. I am just trying to gauge my next rip to dip some fish and have historically found the fishing is slow to dead when the have the emergency openers. I guess I would like to see a few days without an emergency opener
    The only people corking off the dippers are the dippers themselves, you seen the mouth of the river? The only nets i seen there were dip nets, not a set or drift net around

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Commercial fishery has been so limited by king concerns this year, we are looking at record sockeye numbers in the kasilof & Kenai. Have at 'em.

Translation: "I want them all.".

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I liked the "Rip & Dip" that so classic "Current Alaskan" thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Nope just a few for the winter.

Nope just a few for the winter.
    There's a lady on Facebook giving them away, maybe you should get in touch with her since you can't seem to get any for your self

m
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I've been here at the Kenai River mouth for several days now, gathering info on the Dipnet fishery, and have noticed little or no discernible difference in the numbers being caught by dippers, whether or not the boats were out. Contrary to posted opinion, the comm guys do not "cork the river off". Not by a long shot. One boater I spoke with talked of getting 52 fish in fifteen minutes! An exaggeration to be sure, but one that speaks to the large numbers available to dipnetters in the river.

Mike
    Mike,
    Are you seriously trying to make your point by quoting a fishing report that you don't believe to be true?
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I fished the high tides on kenai Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. South beach first day, North beach sunday. Both were very poor. With all the dipnets in the water, it was rare to see more than two fish being caught within eyesight at any given time. Yes, fish are getting into the river. sport fishing upriver is great! But the night time dipping closure meant missing out on two good tides. The commercial effort does reduce the number of fish that enter the rivers when dipping is open. I fished the Kasilof during off times on the Kenai; there were almost no fish inriver where I was on Saturday and Sunday. The terminal fishery was EO'd for 24-7 fishing through the weekend; don't tell me it doesnt effectively cork the river!

Bottom line for fish managers, state agencies, city of Kenai, and the major processors is this; they only see a profit from commercial fishermen when they catch fish. They see the profit from dipnetters whether the dipnetters catch fish or not. So we see management decisions that allow the maximum profit to be gained by the commercial fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    I fished the high tides on kenai Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. South beach first day, North beach sunday. Both were very poor. With all the dipnets in the water, it was rare to see more than two fish being caught within eyesight at any given time. Yes, fish are getting into the river. sport fishing upriver is great! But the night time dipping closure meant missing out on two good tides. The commercial effort does reduce the number of fish that enter the rivers when dipping is open. I fished the Kasilof during off times on the Kenai; there were almost no fish inriver where I was on Saturday and Sunday. The terminal fishery was EO'd for 24-7 fishing through the weekend; don't tell me it doesnt effectively cork the river!

Bottom line for fish managers, state agencies, city of Kenai, and the major processors is this; they only see a profit from commercial fishermen when they catch fish. They see the profit from dipnetters whether the dipnetters catch fish or not. So we see management decisions that allow the maximum profit to be gained by the commercial fleet.
    While you can argue that the escapement numbers are wrong or the management strategy is inefficient, you can't deny that the river is at the escapement goal, thus the nets go out. Only a few select businesses benefit from dipnetters. Anyway aren't all salmon runs get it while its hot.

Default commercial guys rule

Don't ever forget that the second run sockeyes are managed for commercial yield with "consideration" for sport and personal use according to the management summary. Consideration is terribly obsure- it could be anything but I suspect they consider us a hinderance more than anything.

A real hard one to explain with a straight face is with the large escapement and emergency openers for the comm fleet is why hasn't the dip netting been opened for 24 hrs. yet? People are down there anyway - if there are that many fish open it wide open.

As the old saying - something stinks and it isn't in Denmark!

But I don't let the slow fishing go totally to waste - spend the time educating those around you about the remarkable pitiful small sum of money in taxes the commercial fisheries contribute to the state - most people have no idea how little they get (approx. $50 from ALL fisheries) in tax benefits for the sacrifices they make. Educate yourself and educate others - knowledge is power.
    http://www.tax.alaska.gov/programs/d...ewer.aspx?975r

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    knowledge is power.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Don't ever forget that the second run sockeyes are managed for commercial yield with "consideration" for sport and personal use according to the management summary. Consideration is terribly obsure- it could be anything but I suspect they consider us a hinderance more than anything.

A real hard one to explain with a straight face is with the large escapement and emergency openers for the comm fleet is why hasn't the dip netting been opened for 24 hrs. yet? People are down there anyway - if there are that many fish open it wide open.

As the old saying - something stinks and it isn't in Denmark!

But I don't let the slow fishing go totally to waste - spend the time educating those around you about the remarkable pitiful small sum of money in taxes the commercial fisheries contribute to the state - most people have no idea how little they get (approx. $50 from ALL fisheries) in tax benefits for the sacrifices they make. Educate yourself and educate others - knowledge is power.
    http://www.tax.alaska.gov/programs/d...ewer.aspx?975r
    Who wants to manage that zoo for 24hrs a day? The people at the city dock can't work around the clock. Why do dipnetters want 24hour openers? Is it because they are concerned about over escapement, or is it for more selfish reasons like being able to fish with less crowd and more time to catch fish?

Default selfish dipnetters

What horrible selfish people we are for wanting to catch some fish to put in our freezers and feed our familes this winter! Since we are already down there, fishing round the clock just makes common sense.

Does your question reflect the attitude of a majority of the commerical crowd or does it reflect just your personal feelings?

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Who wants to manage that zoo for 24hrs a day? The people at the city dock can't work around the clock. Why do dipnetters want 24hour openers? Is it because they are concerned about over escapement, or is it for more selfish reasons like being able to fish with less crowd and more time to catch fish?

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Barbo View Post
    Only a few select businesses benefit from dipnetters.
    I beg to differ immensely.

You guys do realize the Kenai river doesn't start at the Warren Ames bridge and end at the ocean, right?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast