Thread: Byer's creek access

Default Byer's creek access

Anyone know if the access road is still gated off? Haven't been by there for several years and was wondering if there was anyway to get to the confluence without wading all the way in from the bridge?
    Thanks,
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by GregT View Post
    Anyone know if the access road is still gated off? Haven't been by there for several years and was wondering if there was anyway to get to the confluence without wading all the way in from the bridge?
    Thanks,
    Greg
    It was gated first week of June. Have you ever waded from bridge to mouth before? How long would that take to fish your way down?

it's a hike from the bridge with no trail and pretty rough wading depending on water level. i heard that the gate had to remain open due to a public trailead acessed from it. after doing it i now wonder if there is a direct path to the mouth from the parks. i cant see one on g˘ogle and the only thing keeping me from blazing one is the bears.

Thanks,
    Greg
    As you drive in turn left at the gate and then drive to the end the road comes to a open area to park and there's a trail straight back. Drops down a hill there should be ropes to hang onto going down and trail takes you straight to the water. There's a trail some of the way down toward the mouth bouncing back left side to right. Lots of bears though

I have waded from the bridge all the way down and it takes the better part of a day to wade down and then come back up stream if you are fishing and the trip back upstream is long and tiring. It was probably four years ago that I was there and the gate was closed right off of the highway but I had heard that it was supposed to remain open and just haven't been back to check since and was thinking of checking it out. Definitely a lot of bears and I wouldn't try walking the bank due to no visibility. Just wondering if anyone could confirm the status of the gate by the highway?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo-AK View Post
    As you drive in turn left at the gate and then drive to the end the road comes to a open area to park and there's a trail straight back. Drops down a hill there should be ropes to hang onto going down and trail takes you straight to the water. There's a trail some of the way down toward the mouth bouncing back left side to right. Lots of bears though
    That's intriguing....i haven't been back down there in years since being surrounded by 4 bears within 5 minutes. Every time I got my nerve up, the gate was closed...didn't bother me too much!

Default Gate

Been a few years since I have been there. Last time I went the first gate was open only to drive in a ways to find a second gate locked. So I have not been back since. Like mentioned before, years ago you used to park at the end of the road and pretty much slide down hill right to the mouth of the creek and yes you will fish with the bears.

I lived for a summer right across the highway on the creek. What you guys are saying about bears is spot on...salmon and rainbows and bears, oh my....

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo-AK View Post
    Just to be sure we are talking about the same area, in the link below are you meaning that turn around area that splits off to the left?

http://binged.it/18AQYAs

Also, where exactly is the trailhead supposed to be back in there? I know of the trail on the East side of the highway but it is hard to see anything on the West side and I cannot find any information on one there.

Yes if you turn left before reaching the reddish looking cabin in the picture and drive to the circle clearing, the trail leads straight out the back of that clearing down a hill to the confluence of the rivers. If you look at Google maps I believe it refers to it as the Chulitna Trail.

Yes if you turn left before reaching the reddish looking cabin in the picture and drive to the circle clearing, the trail leads straight out the back of that clearing down a hill to the confluence of the rivers. If you look at Google maps I believe it refers to it as the Chulitna Trail.
    I'm confused. Are we talking about the confluence with the chulitna or just that little clear water fork? The mouth emptying into the chu seems like a loooong way from the cul de sac. I can't imagine how many bears are way back down in there. My four were right there below he dead end cul de sac that you used to be able to get to. Have any of you made it all the way down to the mouth mouth like into the silt water?

You guys would never make it in the real world

you slid down a hill but it sure as heck wasn't the mouth of byers and the chulitna! I hiked down quite a ways and never found it. Ran out of time between chasing fish and having to be back at the rig. I figured I was close after looking at maps, who knows.

oh and yes, bear city! all of those creeks are full of them!

KMac -its the confluence with just the clear water fork. According to the maps I've looked at that fork is part of the Chulitna river and that is where Byer's creek ends. The silted water part of the Chulitna would be be quite an adventure to reach.

KMac -its the confluence with just the clear water fork. According to the maps I've looked at that fork is part of the Chulitna river and that is where Byer's creek ends. The silted water part of the Chulitna would be be quite an adventure to reach.
    Gotcha, that's what it looked like to me....it doesn't look like it gets a ton deeper after the fork joins up....does it?

I've been intrigued by this creek for 20 years. There are big rainbows in that small water. And numbers during short windows of time. I asked Steve Mahay about it years ago, and he gave me a kind of knowing look. I think it would be a major bow fishery if it wasn't akin to McNeil River Falls! Wish I had more tolerance for fishing with bears, I just don't find it enjoyable.

Yeah we have only waded it once and didn't make it past that little confluence so I don't know what its like toward the big part of the Chulitna. I don't think I would walk it alone, we had four guys making noise which seemed to keep the bears away. That and someone had recently shot a black bear and the carcass was lying on the bank of the creek. I have never seen so much bear sign though and the walk back up stream was exhausting. I was constantly peaking over my shoulder and behind me though while I was fishing which makes it hard to relax and enjoy the place for sure. If I feel adventurous I may try it again later this summer or I could get lazy and look for something easier to access.