Thread: A warning to those dipping the Kenai south beach.

Default A warning to those dipping the Kenai south beach.

I was at the Beach today from ~noon until 5pm.
    The sand there is very soft and dry from our lack of rain. I saw at least 6 vehicles get stuck. Half required a tow out and half eventually made it after several tries backing up and getting a good run-up at it in a different track. This was just as they were entering the beach. I couldn't tell you how many got stuck further down.
    I would consider bringing tire chains and a tow strap just in case. Another good idea is to bring a portable air compressor and drop your tire by 10-15 psi then re-inflate when you get off the beach.
    Be careful and be safe.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

thanks for the info

Default sand

Good call. Also its a great idea to pull over out of the way just before hitting the sand, get out, and look at how the successful drivers act as they approach the sand, make it without digging, then take off out of sight. Which route they take, how much gas to apply (are his tires spinning?), what speed, and so on, are all worth learning from.

Driving on sand is a skill (combined with some luck) whose absence can leave you with many hours of trouble for everyone in your party. And some years, the salt water eats a vehicle; don't let it be yours.

I'm camped right by the major pit. Quite entertaining really. Guess not everyone grew up driving in a desert

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    I'm camped right by the major pit. Quite entertaining really. Guess not everyone grew up driving in a desert
    That is hilarious. I've done exactly that before, right there.

Not to revel in anyone else's mishaps - if any of them I saw had still looked forlorn after an hour or two, I'd go and offer what I could, but none were in trouble that long. Did you happen to see the homemade sand-crawler-tow-"truck" ? It's a hoot. Fine American engineering doing what others on the beach cannot. Good them.

The Kenai beach is pretty soft as well. I was on the south shore of Kenai last night (just to talk with some friends) and ASAP Towing looked like they were keeping pretty busy. We saw them pulling out two different rigs within a half hour.

This thread is worthless with out photos.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post

I didn't think to get pictures. I was too busy laughing. I did offer to help the one guy but someone with a winch beat me to it.
    It was funny to hear that turbo spool up on the Cummings diesel and still he went nowhere. That was a clear case of having the wrong tires for the beach.
    It really wasn't one brand or another though. Some lacked experience and some just had the wrong equipment like street tires.
    We also got busy cleaning fish for some elders so I didn't watch them all too closely.

Well I have a Cummins and tires don't matter, just too heavy on the front end. My method is hit the sand and hit it.... Next time get photos.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

These guys with 22 in rims and street tires aren't getting anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post

there's one I took today...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

and here is some unedited video from today. Same spot..

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Nice video Mike. That is what I saw a lot of the other day.
    Half needed a tow and half got out after several tries at backing up and trying again.
    I was talking to the guy who runs the Kenaitze net right there and he said its been like that every day since dipping opened.
    He said it is worse this year due to lack of rain causing dryer sand.
    He has been there several years all summer long so he should know.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Nice video Mike. That is what I saw a lot of the other day.
    Half needed a tow and half got out after several tries at backing up and trying again.
    I was talking to the guy who runs the Kenaitze net right there and he said its been like that every day since dipping opened.
    He said it is worse this year due to lack of rain causing dryer sand.
    He has been there several years all summer long so he should know.
    Yeah, that was just yesterday. I went there four days prior and one rig was stuck just off the pavement, buried up to the floorboards. A wrecker was there, pulling them out (very expensive, I'm sure). I was told that there were four or five other rigs down the beach a ways that were also stuck.

People who have no experience driving on deep, loose sand should not drive out there. You'd be better off dipping from the other side, where access is much easier. The guy in the video had the wrong tires, but his biggest issue was that he kept stopping halfway up and getting buried. I filmed him for about ten or fifteen minutes; they had the shovels out several times. The trick is to keep your momentum once you get moving, but you also have to know what's ahead or you could be driving into something worse. I remember once we drove a Suburban out on the sand down by Ninilchik and as soon as we got off the asphalt I knew we were in trouble. I started looking for a wide spot where I could turn without getting into deeper sand and losing my momentum. I saw some rocks protruding through the sand and thought I could get on those. Big mistake. They weren't rocks. It was mud extruding through the sand. We buried the rig.

If I planned to dipnet that side of the river I'd bring along a four-wheeler instead. Either that or a really fat wallet, to pay the tow guys.

-Mike

I was on the Kasilof beach late on Saturday and on Sunday and there was a lot of that goin on as well. Once you get goin you gotta keep your foot into it until your on the hardpack. That's the only way I know how to do it. I was using the wife's Ford Explorer and I had no problems... I kinda pretend I'm driving in about 3 feet of fresh powder in January and that always works for me... hammer down boys!!!
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I remember a few years back seeing a very struck Astro Van packed full of people, daisy-chained to two pickups who were trying to yard him out of the burial grounds. I was amazed that he got himself out that far in the first place!
    Ask not what your government can do for you. Ask how your government can go away and get out of your life