Thread: Any Word on the Upper Kenai for Bows, Dollies and Reds?

Default Any Word on the Upper Kenai for Bows, Dollies and Reds?

I would like to take my wife, kids, and mother-in-law down there next week for a day float. I was hoping to hear a report on how the fishing has been and what has been working and what has not been working for flies. Any help would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I would like to take my wife, kids, and mother-in-law down there next week for a day float. I was hoping to hear a report on how the fishing has been and what has been working and what has not been working for flies. Any help would be appreciated.
    Since I haven't fished it recently, I can't give advice there. Just wanted to remind you that (legally) you are NOT allowed to use the MIL (or any part of her) for chum.
    Good luck on your trip.

Fished it about a week ago (Lake to Jims) Worked hard for two fish. I did see a few reds caught near the ferry. Oh and don't take the first Braid on river left after the Russian. There is a big cotton wood laying across river at the bottom end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by R. McCormick View Post
    Fished it about a week ago (Lake to Jims) Worked hard for two fish. I did see a few reds caught near the ferry. Oh and don't take the first Braid on river left after the Russian. There is a big cotton wood laying across river at the bottom end of it.
    Thanks for the tip. I know that braid you are talking about. I usually take that braid. That braid actually splits in two. After you took the left braid did you go to the left or the right after it splits again. I usually go to the right.

I useally go right too but this time I went left. It necks down alot in there too. I think if you go right you will be fine. I didn't try any other braids that day. Fished mostly leechs and flesh. We did better on flesh.

Had about 7 rainbows on flesh flies friday. Only pulled two all the way in. The second one i had on broke my 6wt St Croix. Biggest rainbow Ive seen at the confluence area yet (they are always bigger when you lose them, can you imagine how big they get when they break your rod?). Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by kingman View Post
    Had about 7 rainbows on flesh flies friday. Only pulled two all the way in. The second one i had on broke my 6wt St Croix. Biggest rainbow Ive seen at the confluence area yet (they are always bigger when you lose them, can you imagine how big they get when they break your rod?). Good luck
    Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to bring my flesh fly patterns.

Floated Sportsmans to Jims yesterday. Easily picked up limit of reds. Afterwards, several bows.

It was okay. Caught some dollies and a dark cherry red, but the fishing wasn't exactly hot. The weather was fantastic and the Mother-in-law was happy so that's what was important.