Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valdez Silver Salmon Fishing - 2013

Red face Valdez Silver Salmon Fishing - 2013

Well, I doubt anyone has heard anything about Valdez silvers. Bit early I know. Any word on if anyone is catching anything far out though? Plan on coming down sometime mid-to later August. Seems last year they didn't show up very well.....I heard. Didn't go. But will be back down this August. Also, how are the pinks running? This is an odd year so they should be stellar although I have read and heard so far they are slow to show up. I've got a boat I run down there, so was hoping to sneak down for a short weekend with my boys to have fun with the pinks. Any news on those? Thanks for responding.

I want to join in on this thread and see what people are saying about Valdez this year. I am from Seattle and heading up there Aug 9th to fish a few days with my cousin that is from there. He said it should be a good time to be there. We are really wanting to get into some good halibut, lingcod, yellow eye, just about any bottom fish really. But would like to wack some silvers if there are hitting when we are there.

I agree...any info would be beneficial! After last years "run" I could use some encouragement to return for another silver season.
    Don't get me wrong, Valdez is always beautiful but fish in the cooler makes it all even better!!!! Let's play this year!
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Hopefully they show up this year. We witnessed the disappointment last year and can only hope that this year is better.

After our trip I didn't really keep up but did they ever show up in decent numbers last year?

Got a few late on Sat. out at Goose Island. Deep, 50 feet down. Pinks are up high and from the port all the way to Goose too. Heard some reports of them in towards Rocky Point too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

It seems like it's shaping up to be a great year for silvers based on early reports just about everywhere. I've heard reports of good catches all over PWS, on the outsides of the islands in the Gulf, Seward, etc. I was also there last year for the non-run, so I really hope they show up this year. I'm going regardless. Just made reservations today for late August before Labor Day weekend. It will be interesting. I am pretty much stuck on shore, so the numbers need to be good for best success for my family and I. I'm definitely paying attention to what people are saying!

Caught 12 silvers in about 2 hours last Friday trolling around Busby Island. Nothing huge, but quite a few in the 9 to 11 pound range. Have the impression that it is going to be a good run this year.

I leave Seattle in a week to meet my cousin in Anchorage then head down to Valdez a day or so later. He has us set up on a friends 40 somthing foot boat to go out and stay out on the boat for a few days. I have never been there and am very excited. My son and dad are coming with me. I really like to hear the silvers are coming in and looking (hoping) its going to be a good year. We catch a lot of salmon down here in the Seattle area but not like up there and we are hoping to whack some. We really want the bottom fish more though. Halibut, ling, yellow eye, ect. But we would love to hit the silvers too, they are so much fun to fish for.

We also caught 12 silvers and a couple rockfish in this area on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by ptcris View Post
    Caught 12 silvers in about 2 hours last Friday trolling around Busby Island. Nothing huge, but quite a few in the 9 to 11 pound range. Have the impression that it is going to be a good run this year.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Can anyone provide an update to this thread as of today, August 15, 2013?

Been out 4 of the last 5 days. Limits every time. Fish are between Galena Bay and some are being caught from shore (a few). Green hoochie, flasher, herring, dipsey diver running 30-50 feet down.

Thanks Dave....we're heading that way tommorrow evening for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by cruzer17 View Post
    Thanks Dave....we're heading that way tommorrow evening for the weekend.
    I use sliding hook rigs for the herring. This has been the worst year for loosing hooks. Sometimes only one fish and the rig is missing one hook. If you can find 50# test rigs I'd bring some. Doesn't matter how careful you remove the hooks, avoiding line, they just break off.

Interesting you said that Dave as we were loosing hooks left and right as well. We were going with one in the mouth and out the head and then the trailer very near the back part of meat and pulled nearly all the way through so it was almost loose out the back end (sometimes the tail sometimes where we cut the herring in half). Anyways we were probably breaking a hook off on every third fish.

Switch up to smaller baits and single hooks, maybe?

Is the grounded tender affecting anything. I hear its one mile east of shoup bay with a slight sheen reported.
    http://dec.alaska.gov/spar/perp/resp...1201_index.htm

Try tying your own double hook rigs on some quality mono like 30-40lb Maxima. They hold up much better. Fishing 4 rods this year we seldom used more than 5-6 leaders per day. (and yes we did catch fish) Plus its gives you something to do during all that white weather time......

We fished literally right next to the grounded ship and actually caught probably most of our fish right there. It was not overturned when we first got there (it was grounded though) but by the afternoon tide it was upside down. regardless still caught many of our 3 person limit right by there.

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    We fished literally right next to the grounded ship and actually caught probably most of our fish right there. It was not overturned when we first got there (it was grounded though) but by the afternoon tide it was upside down. regardless still caught many of our 3 person limit right by there.
    I heard the fish in that area have a higher oil content
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by AKfishkiller View Post
    Try tying your own double hook rigs on some quality mono like 30-40lb Maxima. They hold up much better. Fishing 4 rods this year we seldom used more than 5-6 leaders per day. (and yes we did catch fish) Plus its gives you something to do during all that white weather time......
    Last night we were using brand new Gamagtsu double sliders, 40 pound test. Same thing. Fish are biting right through it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast