Thread: Bait prep use of dye ?

Default Bait prep use of dye ?

I have seen across the web that there is some consensus for the dyeing of herring to different colours . Im am quite sure that a lot of anglers do this for their own reasons. What is the consensus on the ground ( sorry water ). Is this really a matter of "bling" or does the dyeing or herring offer any tangible benefits to the saltwater angler..........................

are you referring to people using "blue", "red", "orange" etc....herring? if so i believe they are referring to the packaging colors which relates to the size of the herring.

there was an probley still on the web not sure about the name but I think it is something like the Salmon collage in or around Seattle WASH.
    they had a way to color an make the bait stay on the hook better Alittle deep BLUE an it realy tuffens them up sorry it don't work
    just go to Salmon University on the web an on the left side you can see BRININY HERRING it works

this don't work sorry : Salmon University online lessons - brining herring for bait

I've used the brine and brite with the blue dye, it gives em a little color and the brine definitely firms the little guys up IMO.
    I have however been dragging my all churched up herring and straining water all day while watching other guys roll em right out of the package and onto the hook and flat school me.
    I really think its more about putting something, anything really, right in front of the fishes face.
    If they had a juice for that, I would buy it!

A number of the commercial herring cures have dye in them. A bud swears by red-dyed herring behind red flashers for kings and chartreuse for silvers. Haven't tried it myself.

I knwo the dyes you're speaking of, haven't ried them. I do use Ms. Stewarts for brightening them up tho and it works. the first 2 days i don't brine, right out of the package, but after that, brine them to keep them bright, shiny and tuff.

learn something new every day! I had no idea that people dye herring for trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by agp View Post
    learn something new every day! I had no idea that people dye herring for trolling.
    It's real popular down in Puget Sound, as is dying shrimp and roe for use in rivers. Haven't had to go there yet, but sometimes on those fishless days when you know the fish are around, I get to wondering....

Interested in hearing firsthand accounts from up here.