Thread: seward wave height help

Default seward wave height help

I have been watching noaa and the marine forecast the past few days. It keeps saying small craft advisory and seas 7ft. But when I look at the hitchinbrook buoy the waves didn't go over 4 ft. So can someone tell me how its been the past couple days. Thanks

Seward is a tough one to figure out. Especially this weeks crazy forecast. Not sure what I'm gonna do either. But usually you can split the bay and gore point forecast and have a realistic guess.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Not sure which site your using but this first one I like because it'll give some visual insite on how the water is flowing. The Hichenbrook buoy is a lifetime away from Seward to use as reference. Just use the drop down and pick the significant wave height and your set.

http://pafc.arh.noaa.gov/gfefcst/index.php

And this is the standard site

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php?...FC&type=marine

7' seas in Seward - stay home. You can always call a charter and ask if they are going out. Plus, sometimes you just never know. A few years ago I went out thinking I wouldn't go past Cains head, turned out it layed down, all the charters canceled and I nailed the silvers that day...

And if you already know about these sites, sorry, but its also good for a refresh for others to use.

good luck.
    Tony

I like to take the PWS forecast and the Cape Suckling to Gore Point forecast and split the difference.

Look up Cape Cleare Buoy that is bouy 76 you can expect about 30% smaller wave height, in most cases than that real time buoy report.

Stay home if the wind is going to blow out of the Southwest. That makes fishing most places difficult.

We generally do not cancel, even if it is rough out, so don't call my office to see if it is safe for a small boat to go out. We go out in my big boat when it would be inadvisable for any small boat to go.

Good luck

Thanks guys. AkCapt. that helped a lot. Seas never hit 7 ft yesterday. 2. I would never call a charter office to see if it is safe to go out. I usually just go and see how it is. sw winds wont bother me to much. Theres lots of places I can fish to escape the wind. Andy I might have to come see you tonight and introduce myself to you. Stay safe and tight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinman View Post
    Thanks guys. AkCapt. that helped a lot. Seas never hit 7 ft yesterday. 2. I would never call a charter office to see if it is safe to go out. I usually just go and see how it is. sw winds wont bother me to much. Theres lots of places I can fish to escape the wind. Andy I might have to come see you tonight and introduce myself to you. Stay safe and tight lines.
    Stop by any time, I am usually off the boat soon after I fuel, so I can spend an hour with my wife before I go to sleep and do it all over again!!