Thread: Musings of a new "flipper/flosser" addict from MN..

Default Musings of a new "flipper/flosser" addict from MN..

So I just spent the past 3 days fishing reds on the Kenai. These are some of my thoughts after having done this for the first time...

- I've been fishing halibut for the past month, and this beats the heck out of that. My opinion of course...
    - I tried it for one day last week, and it was alot of work. Sure makes a big difference when there's a bunch of fish in the river.
    -These things are POWERFUL! And CRAZY!
    - Crazy amount of fish. Crazy amount of people. And I thought the Rainy River in Minnesota was crazy in spring?
    - Wish Minnesota had fish cleaning stations like Alaska does. They're awesome!
    - How come people don't release hens and keep the males? I've been trying to do this - it's a habit I bring with me from back home.
    - I'm not used to paying for access to water. That's one good thing about MN.
    - Ever have that time when you're "in the zone", and everyone around is watching (in envy) with their mouth hanging open? Then the next day, someone else is tearing it up, and you feel like you have the plague? I been there alot lately...
    -Sometimes moving just a little bit is just what the doctor ordered. You can spend two hours in one spot with nothing, move a few yards, and catch three fish in ten minutes...
    -Or just stay there, because they will eventually show up thick!
    - Fish tend to rip loose when you use musky gear :-) A nine foot Ugly Stik with 25 lb. mono was a GREAT investment!
    -However, IF your fish is hooked well, and if your line and knots are up to par, the musky gear works GREAT for launching reds onto the shoreline!
    - Just about everybody on the river is happy and friendly.
    - However, some people are just plain clueless as to what constitutes infringement of personal space.
    - Some people will drop whatever they are doing to help the person next to them land a fish.
    - The next person will wait patiently for you to get out of the way, or, might even act annoyed if your fish is in their way.
    - Numerous people caught fish after it broke their rod.
    - One guy took a sinker to the upper lip and had to go to the ER for stitches.
    - Where else can you fish with people from all cultures all around you?
    - Sometimes, giving fish to people who are struggling to catch their own fish is a good way to stay fishing :-)
    - In Minnesota, we release the vast majority of our fish. In Alaska, it seems to be all about harvest. I'm not knocking this - it's just something I've noticed (I'm doing plenty of harvesting myself).
    - People don't have much time for catch and release - judging by the looks I sometimes get. My tendency would be to catch two fish, then catch and release until I'm ready to quit fishing - then catch and keep my last one. But I get some funny looks from fishermen around me when I'm taking up space and they're not fishing or catching fish...
    - I could CPR all day every day, and not tire of it. I don't see anybody doing that?
    - I've seen guys incredibly intense about landing their fish - to the point of chasing them all over with nets, pouncing on them when they hit the beach, and acting very disappointed when they lose a fish. Others could care less. They just hook another one. They get their limit when/if they get their limit. No big deal.
    -I'm surprised at the number of fishermen who SNAG salmon under the guise of flossing. Look - I realize I'm a beginner, but ripping big hooks with large gaps through the water half way through a drift - and continuing to do so all day after 90 percent of your fish are hooked in the body - IS NOT FLOSSING, and no-one seems to care?
    - I believe it's true - with the right gear, and the right technique, you can hook the vast majority of your fish in the mouth.
    - Thanks to all for what you have written on this subject. I've read alot the past few weeks, I've learned by reading, and by applying. Now that I've got some experience under my belt, I feel ready to take it to the next level. The right amount of weight for the spot. The right length of leader. The right hook, rod, reel, etc. Reading the water. How far to flip? You know - there's really an art to this. I LOVE IT!
    - Oh yes - how could I forget the bullet in the mouth. Now I know why so many people were warning about wearing glasses and being careful. I took a 3/4 oz. slingshot rubbercore direct to the lower-right third molar this am. I was bleeding and am bruised, but it was bound to happen. It only took a few minutes for me to laugh it off, when I finally decided that my jaw wasn't broken.

I could go on and on. Can't wait to get back at it. Good luck everybody and have fun.

Good post from a fellow MN. Yes a true flossed can hit almost every time. If you are a ripper more often it's a snag. I'm back up Saturday for a mad 4 days of fishing with a first time visitor from KS! This should be good. 8 guys total in 3 groups. I'm still looking for more freezer space if we get into em. I spend 40 days a year fishing where every the fish are in high numbers. Let's hope I can keep it local.

Prior Lake

Quote Originally Posted by summerof2013 View Post
    - Sometimes, giving fish to people who are struggling to catch their own fish is a good way to stay fishing :-)

I would be careful on this one.

The law states that each fish landed accrues toward the daily bag of the person who hooked it.

You "give" three fish away and you are legally done for the day.... NONE for you.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    I would be careful on this one.

The law states that each fish landed accrues toward the daily bag of the person who hooked it.

You "give" three fish away and you are legally done for the day.... NONE for you.
    That is 100% correct. Even if you hook it and hand the rod off to your kid to fight and land it is YOUR fish and counts toward YOUR bag limit.

"bag limit (daily limit) means the maximum legal take per person per day, in the area in which the person is fishing, even though part or all of the fish are immediately preserved; a fish when landed and killed becomes a part of the bag limit of the person originally hooking it."

Info is available on the ADF&G website
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm....sfdefinitions

Even further, as evidenced in a tiny yet well published case, even if a bear eats one of your caught salmon it still counts against your limit - not the bear's.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    as evidenced in a tiny yet well published case, even if a bear eats one of your caught salmon it still counts against your limit - not the bear's.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ed-Cited/page2
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

It seemed like a good idea to me at the time, especially since that elderly Russian couple were having a heck of a time catching a fish for most of the day, but I stand corrected. Shame on that guy I saw doing that the other day...

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Even further, as evidenced in a tiny yet well published case, even if a bear eats one of your caught salmon it still counts against your limit - not the bear's.
    DSC00282.jpg

The bears are even allowed to fish where you aren't.