Thread: Legislators Shift Willow Boat Launch Money to road repairs

Thumbs down Legislators Shift Willow Boat Launch Money to road repairs

<Removed by webmaster, rule 7>

What a crock!

Here's the story:
    http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/matsu/story/8895973p-8796013c.html
    Last edited by Webmaster; 06-05-2007 at 13:06.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Wise people make wise choices. Especially when they are charged with spending public funds in a manner that best fit the public's needs. It takes the legislature to agree, as a body, where to spend the money. I can only hope that each legislator had their say, and when the decision was made, the available funds were allocated to the best source(s). Allocations are best left to the politicians we elected to represent us. They need your support, not a continuation of debate, if what they hope to achieve has a chance for any level of success.

Default deska

I have wondered how they were tied in to politics ever since they got the road paved right to the gate.

Exclamation When it Smells

When it smells fishy, it usually is! Where there is smoke, you will find a flame.

I am not against Deshka Landing. I think they provide a good service. However when ever you have competition, it tends to drive down prices. The State has an "obligation" to guarantee access. There should be at least two State boat launches on the lower Big Su.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Competition? To buy property, obtain permits to build a road, run power, develop the facitilities, then fund, build, staff, and operate a competitive launch? I'll bet you can't compose a business plan that pencils anything but a loss. I don't think the state can, either.

Most of us have argued that many state-run operations could be run more effectively and for less money by the private sector. A state-run boat launch would be no exception.

Default It's All About Public Access

As I have posted in another thread:

Mr. Pid it Sounds like you are a member of Deshka Landing LLC!

I am all for private business and such. But I do not believe access to our Natural Resources should be limited to only private businesses. The State has an "obligation" to Alaskans to make sure we have access. If a boat launch is placed at Willow creek and this would give Alaskan's access to a Natural Resource, then that is an appropriate use of government funds.

What ticks me off is when our elected officials are lobbied by Deshka Landing LLC so they can be the "only game" in town and basically places a monopoly on my access. I would rather pay a small fee (smaller than Deshka Landing) to maintain a state launch facility, which in turn is used to support other development for campgrounds, boat launches etc., than to be held hostage by a private business who believes they should have special rights and hold a monopoly on access.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Maybe they should put a tractor concession at the Willow. That'd make you happy....right?

I'm a happy annual pass buyer at the Deshka Landing. No ownership involved. I'm just a happy customer who remembers what it was like to access the Big Su before the Deshka Landing existed.

Where did you launch your boat back then?

Default Deshka Landing LLC is a MONOPOLY

The same! My trailer has been busted on that road too. I can still remember the back way in (I think). I also remember the way Burma Road (Little Su) was and the need for 4WD and chains if it rained. But the state came in improved the camping and launch area.

Busted on the tractor Launch!

As AKBIGHORN put it in another thread:

(Quote)
    I don't mind spending good money for good service. What I get at the Deshka landing is long lines (because they aren't managing the launch) and poor landing conditions (south bank falling apart). I go there to launch my boat and that is it. I don't care about all the other stuff they have to make money with but what I am paying for is sub par. (Quote)

Why am I having to pay the same price to launch my boat off a cliff (at the end of the burm) in swift water, when Deshka Landing LLC will not dredge the launch area? I considered a season pass this year, but I will be gone for the last part of the summer. I do like the improvements they have made, thus far. But the improvements were meant to save them money and generate more cash, not for river access. There were no improvements made to the launch or the parking area. I think AKBighorn hits the nail on the head!

My point is why should a private business hold a monopoly on access to our rivers? They should not. We have two state representatives that are supporting a monopoly. The State still needs to build a boat launch on the lower Big-Su and Deska Landing should not influence this.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

I don't consider the Deshka Landing a monopoly. I think any enterprising fellow who wants to develop a competitive facility has the opportunity to do so. I think the reason somebody hasn't is because it doesn't make financial sense. In that light, I don't think the state should jump into the fray.

The lack of competition isn't the product of a protected monopoly. Besides, you have other options to get your boat into the river. Perhaps not as convenient, but you have options. As with most things, convenience has an associated expense. I find that small premium to be a great value.

That's it. Have a great weekend wherever you go!