Thread: Did Late spring affect migration patterens?

Default Did Late spring affect migration patterens?

Just got back from Bristol Bay. I've fished out there for about 15 years. I thought that I saw more and different waterfowl I'd never seen there before. I was wondering if anybody thought or knew anything? Was there late snow further north? Was it colder? Waterways frozen later? Did it affect how far birds moved north?

Here on Wrangell the geese moved north and back south at least three times before going north a staying. Parts of SE had snow fall in the middle of May that really messed with the robins.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Break-up was late in the far north as well.
    Most of the lower Kuparuk and almost all of the Colville Delta was flooded when birds would be nesting. Most species rode it out and right now there are hatch-lings everywhere (I saw a pair of Specks with an amazing 10 goslings just today). The babies hatched about a week late this year but that won't likely affect the game birds since they mature quickly and start south early. The bio's I work with tell me the loons and swans will be affected most since their young aren't ready to fly until late. This year, if the feeding ponds freeze in early October as usual, the loss of a week will probably be a death sentence for hundreds of immature birds.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today