Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 84

Thread: Kenai River Boat Dipnetting

  1. #1
    Member Sockeye Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    82

    Default Kenai River Boat Dipnetting

    Does anybody know if there is an agency that counts the number of boats dipnetting on the Kenai River? I am just curious. It would be interesting to know. Also does anyone know why boat dippers are not allowed further out to the mouth? Is this just to keep the dipnetters out of the way of the commercial boats? It would be nice if the boat dippers could spread out all the way to the mouth of the river and maybe beyond. Maybe alleviate some of the congestion.

    I have been dipping twice this week on Monday and Wednesday. There were a lot of boats both days with quite a few more on Wednesday. On Wednesday we could see a line to launch boats all day at the City of Kenai launch ramp. There must have been 500+ boats on the river. We decided to get out of the water before low tide and all the boats would be squeezed into less water. We had already been bumped by another boat earlier in the day. Nothing too serious but still.

    There are some boats out there on the river that do not belong out there. There are some large swells that are kicked up by all the boat traffic especially when the commercial boats are motoring around too. I just cringe when i see a 14' jon boat with three big dudes in it and a pile of fish. A couple of waves and the boat will be under water. Even worse to see little kids in a dangerous situation.

    The launch ramp was very busy but manageable. It would be nice if people did not tie up on the end of the dock and then just sit. I make sure that we always have a capable boat driver and a capable truck driver that can back up a trailer. I wait out in the river until i see my trailer backing down and then i scoot in and onto the trailer, then get out of there.

    Hopefully everyone stays safe out there and everyone has some patience. It is going to be a crazy weekend. I am glad to have my fish and sit back and watch on the weekends. I will try to help some other get some fish next week.

    Scott

  2. #2
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    those waves are a blast. so is the traffic....kinda like boston when you're a tourist. Good thing about small boats: no wait at the launch. Pull down from the bridge, pay nothing for parking, camping, or launching. Head back home with two limits of fish for the price of the gas split 50/50 with your fishing buddy. Always get a chuckle out of the clowns in $50,000/massive boats who are stuck on the bar down there near the mouth.

  3. #3

    Default

    Small boats rule




  4. #4
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    holy smokes! that's a pile of fish in that lil thing. Darn boat looks like you got a girl's toy from a happy meal!

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    holy smokes! that's a pile of fish in that lil thing. Darn boat looks like you got a girl's toy from a happy meal!
    Boat is all of 12' with a 6 horse. The big boys despise us.

    I'm only a 200 pounder, but my fishin' bro is way heavier. That morning we caught seventy slabs on the outside of the Gasline Crossing at high tide and offloaded at the bridge. Had durn near 2" of freeboard, so we were okay.

  6. #6
    Member oakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    I'm with you....Saw a few boats out there on Tuesday that were dangerously close to capsizing. I got a chuckle out of the guy in the North River boat that was somehow managed to get about 3 feet above the high tide mark for the day. I would guess that he was up there for about 5 hours before he managed to get off somehow. Too busy dipping to see how he managed to get down.

    Also a guy that ended up high and dry on the sandbar for about 5 hours. He just had to wait for the tide though.

    I'd like to see something done to alleviate the congestion on the river and at the boat launch. Might have to get a 50hp outboard so I can launch further up river and avoid all of the lines.

    Had a great day though. Caught 173 fish for 5 different permits.

  7. #7

    Default

    As one of the commercial guys working off the Kenai dock, I too would like to relieve congestion. Our single screwed, rudder steered boats are just not that maneuverable. I really think it is just a matter of time before something serious happens. Probably wouldn't fly, butI would like to see the boat dipnet fishery start above the kenai Landing, with the upriver boundary moved upward from the bridge an appropriate distance. Pros and cons? This probably should be a separate thread, but I am too tired to retype it

  8. #8
    Member oakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Yeah...one of those bigger boats vs a dipnet boat...ain't gonna be pretty.

    The other thing that really got me was all of the people that just didn't think about all of the other people around them. But...I guess you get that many people in a small area and there are bound to be a few people that aren't too considerate.

    I'm probably just going to start going to Chitina again. Longer drive, but few people.

  9. #9
    Member BluNosDav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    449

    Default

    I was wondering about launching a smaller boat from farther upstream and "commuting" down to the dip-net area, and then commuting back upstream for recovery of my boat with a small load of fish. Any practical or legal problems with this strategy?

    Thanx, Dave.
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    I was wondering about launching a smaller boat from farther upstream and "commuting" down to the dip-net area, and then commuting back upstream for recovery of my boat with a small load of fish. Any practical or legal problems with this strategy?

    Thanx, Dave.
    Oh man, Dave, that is absolutely the best way. Great boat ride.

    Here's the link to my Google Maps Engine Lite Kenai River Boat Launches: http://mapsengine.google.com/map/vie...I.kZls3LIvP3mU

  11. #11

    Default

    Here's the map showing what you can and can't use:


  12. #12
    Premium Member kasilofchrisn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central Kenai Peninsula
    Posts
    4,887

    Default

    Never again will I launch from the kenai city dock to dipnet.
    From now on it will be launch upstream and motor down.
    Had a guy back into me as I was pulling in to get on the trailer.
    My dad was waiting with the trailer in the water and this guy pulls up drops somebody off at the next dock. Then the guy backs up without even looking and backs right into me.
    Not even a glance behind him.
    Pushed me into another boat too.
    I guess maybe a 20' green boat is to hard to see.lol
    All for a couple of fish.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

    "Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

  13. #13
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Anyone have an open seat for me, or upto the 3 total? Just curious, never done it by boat, if not, will go the shore. If ya hit PWS, I can show ya around there if you're new to the area, spring bear, deer, and just cruising around info and such. Will be headed down from Anchorage at 4:30am with two military buddies. Thanks for checking out my post!

  14. #14
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Boat drivers loses there minds and their abilities to properly drive a boat when they are down on the Kenia dippin for reds. I been doin it for better than 15 years now and I honestly believe that. Good Luck ya'll and stay safe. On land we say "watch out for motorcycles" but on the Kenai River during dippin season we say "watch out for dumb-ass boat drivers"... "fishon"
    Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Never again will I launch from the kenai city dock to dipnet.
    From now on it will be launch upstream and motor down.
    Had a guy back into me as I was pulling in to get on the trailer.
    My dad was waiting with the trailer in the water and this guy pulls up drops somebody off at the next dock. Then the guy backs up without even looking and backs right into me.
    Not even a glance behind him.
    Pushed me into another boat too.
    I guess maybe a 20' green boat is to hard to see.lol
    All for a couple of fish.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  15. #15

    Default

    Last year we needed to get fuel right next to the ramp. This is the fuel dock. It has signs everywhere stating that you can tie off only if you are getting fuel. We pulled up to tie up but there was no space. We saw that one boat was tied up while the driver was waiting for someone to go get the trailer. We were finally able to shame him into moving for us. Then another boat that was tied up there had a rather large family on it. What were they doing? Getting fuel? Nope. It was lunch time.
    Last edited by skydiver; 07-19-2013 at 09:25. Reason: Added info

  16. #16
    Member Sockeye Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    82

    Default

    Gunner, I like your idea of putting the dipnetters above Kenai Landing and then expanding the dipping area above the bridge to say Cunningham Park or to the Bluffs. It will still be congested but that is an interesting idea. I am sure the commercial guys get sick of all the boats running around them. I would hate to see a commercial boat and a dip net boat have an accident. The outcome would not be good.

    So back to my main question, does anybody know if there is an agency keeping track of the number of dipnetters? I am just curious.

    Good luck to all the dipnetters and stay safe out there.

    Scott

  17. #17
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    The is no official agency that keeps track of the # of boats that are dipnetting only the # of boats that launch and retrieve from the Kenai City Boat Launch. I asked this very question a couple years back to the chick that works the booth where you pay before you launch...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Scott View Post
    Gunner, I like your idea of putting the dipnetters above Kenai Landing and then expanding the dipping area above the bridge to say Cunningham Park or to the Bluffs. It will still be congested but that is an interesting idea. I am sure the commercial guys get sick of all the boats running around them. I would hate to see a commercial boat and a dip net boat have an accident. The outcome would not be good.

    So back to my main question, does anybody know if there is an agency keeping track of the number of dipnetters? I am just curious.

    Good luck to all the dipnetters and stay safe out there.

    Scott
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  18. #18
    Member Bob the fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Maybe, No hablo engles???
    Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Last year we needed to get fuel right next to the ramp. This is the fuel dock. It has signs everywhere stating that you can tie off only if you are getting fuel. We pulled up to tie up but there was no space. We saw that one boat was tied up while the driver was waiting for someone to go get the trailer. We were finally able to shame him into moving for us. Then another boat that was tied up there had a rather large family on it. What were they doing? Getting fuel? Nope. It was lunch time.
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

  19. #19
    Member akmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kenai
    Posts
    143

    Default

    Contact Kenai City Hall, the finance department should know. I would think they should be able to tell you the total amount of money brought in by the boat launch during the fishery, it will then be up to you to do the math. On a side note, the launch will be closed an hour before and after low tide for the next several days so plan accordingly.

  20. #20
    Member oakman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Eagle River, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    that will only get you the Kenai dock. There are a few other launches that people use.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •