Thread: Kayak camping in Valdez

Default Kayak camping in Valdez

I will be passing through Valdez next summer while sea kayaking in Prince William Sound and am looking for some local knowledge about the "Bear Paw" adult campground that is located on the waterfront. Their website gives very little information that is of any use to kayakers so I am hoping to fill in the information blanks here.
    Specifically I would like to know:
    Is there a decent launching and landing spot near their tent camping area where I won't have to carry my kayak and gear too far?
    Have any Forum readers had any really good or bad experiences with the campground management or other campers?
    Is there a better place to camp in town when I pass through Valdez?
    Any information will be appreciated.
    Denis Dwyer
    http://skapws.blogspot.com/

I give the Bear Paw five stars for sea kayaking.

What they mean by "adult campground" is that it is quiet.

It's been a few years since I've been there, but this is what I remember:

Access from the water is super easy, the adult campground is on the water front with a small cobble beach. If you are coming into town following the north shore, the campground is the first development after the tugboat dock. You will probably see RV's.

There is a two story building (painted white.... I think) that has coin operated laundry and showers, and nice bathrooms. The tent sites are behind the building, each site has a tent platform and picnic table.

To pay you have to walk east into town for 5 minutes. Their office is at the large RV park that you can't miss.
    Tent sites are expensive, ($20 I think). But worth it because you will not need to portage your kayak or worry about people messing with your gear. It's and easy walk to the Safeway grocery.

Good Luck!

Default Thanks for the information

Quote Originally Posted by mattseakayaker View Post
    I give the Bear Paw five stars for sea kayaking.

What they mean by "adult campground" is that it is quiet.

It's been a few years since I've been there, but this is what I remember:

Access from the water is super easy, the adult campground is on the water front with a small cobble beach. If you are coming into town following the north shore, the campground is the first development after the tugboat dock. You will probably see RV's.

There is a two story building (painted white.... I think) that has coin operated laundry and showers, and nice bathrooms. The tent sites are behind the building, each site has a tent platform and picnic table.

To pay you have to walk east into town for 5 minutes. Their office is at the large RV park that you can't miss.
    Tent sites are expensive, ($20 I think). But worth it because you will not need to portage your kayak or worry about people messing with your gear. It's and easy walk to the Safeway grocery.

Good Luck!
    Matt
    Thanks for the information, that is exactly what I needed to know
    The "Bear Paw" is now on my itinerary as the place to stay when I pass through Valdez.
    Thanks again,
    Denis