Thread: GoPro fisheye problem

Default GoPro fisheye problem

Ok, so I bought a gopro2 last year to take to valdez and hunting camps and I thought I would love it. Well, I dont... Seems that every video and picture that I take comes back with the fisheye problem. Ive looked on the net and there are countless threads with gimicks that work to alter the images to make them appear straight, but I want a fix that will allow me to take a picture that does not need to be altered, did I buy the wrong camera?

Ive heard about lenses that you can buy that correct the problem, but I think you loose your wide FOV, is that correct? I really dont want to fork over another $100 or so for something that isnt going to fix the problem. There has to be something that I am missing, I cant believe this many people would buy a camera with a problem like this. What am I doing wrong?

Ron

That is the reason I went with contour.com to start with.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Noone has a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Noone has a solution?
    Yes! Buy a Contour!
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Using the narrow field of view option in the settings menu will reduce the fisheye look to your video. It will still be slightly fisheye but a lot better. Just like everything else in life, there is a "right tool for the job". I own 3 cameras:
    1. Gopro for underwater, high angles, extreme low angles, POV, and fisheye.
    2.Sony HD Handicam for quick capture of action, wildlife, scenery. With a wide angle lens and 60x optical zoom, the color and sharpness is excellent but it is 60i
    3. Panasonic GF3 mirrorless micro4/3. With interchangeable lenses you can get more "cinematic" looking shots by using rack focus and controlling depth of field. Unless you are only shooting and not taking part in the activity this can be combersome run and gun with at first so I use it to set the scene, b roll, med-close ups on people.
    these arnt the best cameras on the market or the hottest new thing but each has its own purpose. All these cameras are comparable in cost and won't break the budget. When I take a few moments to grab a few shots with each you end up with a better story than if you only have a few quick shots of action taken by a single viewpoint. I hope this helps anyone looking at document their adventures or just capture better memories.

Never underestimate the importance of b roll or setting the scene with wide angles, high angles or pans. These shots tell a better story and work great if your editing to a music track.
    There isnt much info on outdoor adventure filming on google/youtube so I thought I'd share what recipe works for me