Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Whittier Coho!!

Default 2013 Whittier Coho!!

2012 was a poor Coho year for me. In PWS I only boated 2 silvers all year. Just got my first one of the year!! Anybody picking any up? I was in close at Pigot. Lots of pinks and we picked up a chum too.

Picked up a bunch a bit farther south a week ago.
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Picked up a bunch a bit farther south a week ago.
    BK
    You go south of Main Bay? Just curious?!!

Between Main Bay and Crafton was hot last weekend. Lots of bait in the water and lots of jumpers. Hopefully they stick around this season.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Between Main Bay and Crafton was hot last weekend. Lots of bait in the water and lots of jumpers. Hopefully they stick around this season.
    Thanks for info Spoiled!

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Thanks for info Spoiled!
    I should add that we caught all of them on hardware. No bait on the boat. Gotta love buzz bombs!

Heading back out shortly as we've booked Port Chalmers this weekend. What size buzz bombs and what's your presentation. We had the baitfish on the surface running for their lives last Wed-Fri too. We were in Montague Straight though. Salmon everywhere. We already picked up our possession limit of reds so we did not pursue silvers. I opted out of buying more green label troll herring and plan on dragging Crocodiles which we've used successfully in the past. Rather than mooch [since we won't have bait] assuming we find a good concentration I'd like to have something other than Vibrax/Crocs to throw at them. Thx in advance. If anyone's out there around Green, Applegate Rocks and Port Chalmers areas give us "J~Me Lyn" a shout. Wx dependent [Passage Canal is going to get 4 ft seas w/ wind out of the west {pretty slow / rough going with the wife and dog} according to forecast] we plan on being out until Monday.
    I should add that we caught all of them on hardware. No bait on the boat. Gotta love buzz bombs!

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    What size buzz bombs and what's your presentation.

We were using the 4'' in chrome. We jigged them throughout the water column while drifting and even caught fish trolling back to start our drift again. I have even caught sockeye on buzz bombs.

Awesome ~ thanks as always you're willing to help.
    We were using the 4'' in chrome. We jigged them throughout the water column while drifting and even caught fish trolling back to start our drift again. I have even caught sockeye on buzz bombs.

South end of Knight Island.
    Trolling green hoochies with a sliver of herring on it. Banana weight in front of it about 24-36".
    They couldn't resist it!
    BK

Carrying a jar of berkley gulp with the 3-4" minnows will allow you to carry "bait" to tip your mooching rigs and you don't have to deal with keeping it cool or it turning mushy if you don't use it. The jars are kinda spendy at ~$25, but it has quite a bit of the magic juice so you can return the minnows that aren't chewed up to the jar and re-use them on following trips or the following year. You should be able to catch upwards of 4 fish on one of the baits before they are too chewed up. It's a good idea to put the jar in a gallon ziplock for long term storage so the juices don't evaporate.

As to buzz bombs, you can also use them like a spinner/spoon. I like to drift around a point, cast them out towards the point and alternate retrieving and letting them fall through the water colum. White/blue and white/green are also good colors and 3" and 4" work well.

Krocodile spoons are also great for a variety of species and can be both cast and jigged. I like silver, silver/blue and silver/green.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

I'm headed down tonight through Saturday. I will report back any findings.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Looks like I'll be picking up Green Labels after all...Wife's a troll queen and she's excited to hear these prospects of Silvers after last season not adding many Silvers to the freezer. Now what's the key to getting her to stop running troll gear and mooch when we located the herd??? I can't wait to see her in action running those downriggers again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Carrying a jar of berkley gulp with the 3-4" minnows will allow you to carry "bait" to tip your mooching rigs and you don't have to deal with keeping it cool or it turning mushy if you don't use it. The jars are kinda spendy at ~$25, but it has quite a bit of the magic juice so you can return the minnows that aren't chewed up to the jar and re-use them on following trips or the following year. You should be able to catch upwards of 4 fish on one of the baits before they are too chewed up. It's a good idea to put the jar in a gallon ziplock for long term storage so the juices don't evaporate.

As to buzz bombs, you can also use them like a spinner/spoon. I like to drift around a point, cast them out towards the point and alternate retrieving and letting them fall through the water colum. White/blue and white/green are also good colors and 3" and 4" work well.

Krocodile spoons are also great for a variety of species and can be both cast and jigged. I like silver, silver/blue and silver/green.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If the silvers are on the bite, you can mooch with pretty much anything...hootchies, buzz bombs, crocodiles, pixies, brads super baits etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    South end of Knight Island.
    Trolling green hoochies with a sliver of herring on it. Banana weight in front of it about 24-36".
    They couldn't resist it!
    BK
    Thank you!! ur too kind!!

Looks like I'll be picking up Green Labels after all...Wife's a troll queen and she's excited to hear these prospects of Silvers after last season not adding many Silvers to the freezer. Now what's the key to getting her to stop running troll gear and mooch when we located the herd??? I can't wait to see her in action running those downriggers again!
    Wife running the downriggers is key. But then she wants all the fish.

I'm happiest when she's happy... So I guess I'll let her keep working harder running troll gear when she could be mooching. She's just getting off work and the boat's loaded. Good luck out there!
    Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    Wife running the downriggers is key. But then she wants all the fish.

Any updates on where the silvers are? Next weekend I will be out looking for them.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We caught a limit for 8 people Friday. From Crafton south.

Good Luck!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I'm happiest when she's happy... So I guess I'll let her keep working harder running troll gear when she could be mooching. She's just getting off work and the boat's loaded. Good luck out there!
    Her fish? She's cleaning/filleting them too, right? Don't catch them all, I have almost two weeks before I can catch what escapes all of you! So exciting to be getting these good silvers reports, can't wait

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast