Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kasilof dipping?

Default Kasilof dipping?

We're heading down Friday to try our luck. Since the EO expanding dipping to the Sterling Bridge, we're wondering if Kasilof would be a good option at Crooked Creek. Anyone experienced this yet?

Exclamation Kasilof Terminal Fishery

Be advised, commercial setnet and drift boat Terminal Fishery in effect, which basically means the river must be closed off to prevent overescapement and disruption of spawning beds.

If anything gets through and you catch it, that's some mighty fine fishing on your part.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Be advised, commercial setnet and drift boat Terminal Fishery in effect, which basically means the river must be closed off to prevent overescapement and disruption of spawning beds.

If anything gets through and you catch it, that's some mighty fine fishing on your part.
    I'm not well versed in all this but am I correct in assuming that this Terminal Fishery means there won't be much left for dipnetters on Kasilof Beach this weekend? If so that sucks but life goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by base5002 View Post
    I'm not well versed in all this but am I correct in assuming that this Terminal Fishery means there won't be much left for dipnetters on Kasilof Beach this weekend? If so that sucks but life goes on.
    Roger that. The whole point of the Terminal Fishery is to prevent more fish from entering the river.

Thanks for the clarity. Hope that means that nobody else will be there and I am the only nut trying to catch the few leftover.

I bet there are some in river places you can grab a few

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by base5002 View Post
    Thanks for the clarity. Hope that means that nobody else will be there and I am the only nut trying to catch the few leftover.
    There will be silvers in awhile.

So does this mean they will be setting nets at the beach site where everyone dips?

Quote Originally Posted by jnjgaudette View Post
    So does this mean they will be setting nets at the beach site where everyone dips?

You will see boats backing up to one shore, throwing out the buoy, and letting out the net to the other shore.

Well that really sucks!!! But that is only during the EO right? Which means it ended tonight at 2100 and tomorrow will be free of commercial fishers and open to regular dip netters?

It always amazes me that somehow the sockeye were able to spawn for eons with reckless abandon and without any assistance from man. Now man must make sure they don't overescape or all hell will break loose.
    An old timer from Bristol Bay told me his father had witnessed reds so thick in the Wood River that it appeared you could walk across the river on them. As Wally Hickel so aptly put it: "You can't just let nature run wild.". This seems to be ADFG's modus operandi for sockeye.
    I don't buy it. I call BS on it.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Kasilof Beach so crowded I hadda leave. I couldn't find EVEN ONE camping/parking spot.

I've seen it crowded before, but always managed to luck out and find something. No such luck this time.

Just a heads up for those who are considering heading down. This may not be a good time.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

We are headed there now, were there alot of boats in the water? Are the commercial nets out ?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    It always amazes me that somehow the sockeye were able to spawn for eons with reckless abandon and without any assistance from man. Now man must make sure they don't overescape or all hell will break loose.
    An old timer from Bristol Bay told me his father had witnessed reds so thick in the Wood River that it appeared you could walk across the river on them. As Wally Hickel so aptly put it: "You can't just let nature run wild.". This seems to be ADFG's modus operandi for sockeye.
    I don't buy it. I call BS on it.
    Lest we forget: Man-agement of overescapement in the past...

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by starktank View Post
    We are headed there now, were there alot of boats in the water? Are the commercial nets out ?
    Didn't go down to see them fishing. Just couldn't find a place to park/camp. We camped somewhere else. Not sure if logistics will allow going down and fishing. Folks were lining the road.

Huge crowd could indicate good fishing. ??

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Lest we forget: Man-agement of overescapement in the past...

That wasn't management, that was resource rape. Which is why Alaska stopped the practice right after becoming a state. I often cite the fish traps as evidence that chinook continued to thrive in spite of very efficient fish traps operating for more than half a century all up and down the East side.
    My point is that the salmon runs went on just fine with only a cursory impact by aboriginal man until we came along and decided that they could not live out their life cycle without us keeping them from (the bogus) over-escapement. Again, BS.

What is just fine? ..I might make this a winter project to research....salmon populations before large scale commercial fishing.what I think I might find is stories of salmon so thick in wood river it looked like u could walk across the river but other years u could stand on the shore for hours an only see a few fish.itwould be like.rabbits peak years
    They die off. Work their way back up.when salmon hatch they live in a lake for a year.doesn't it make sense that there is only going to only be so much food in the lake for so many fish? If there is too many fish up the river spawning.thus too many hatched ...not enough food to sustain the population.two basic things happen alot die from not enough food and the ones that survive are usually stunted and come back as smaller fish

I was talking about sockeye....other salmon don't need a lake

I just couldn't stand it any more. I originally planned to drive down to Kasilof North Beach maybe Monday night or Tuesday. Left Knik at 4:16 PM Thursday and arrived at beach around 8:30 PM and was in the water by 9:30 and gutted it out with no brake other than one potty break until about 11:00 AM Friday morning and finally got 20 fish. Some were doing well, you know, some folks are just plain lucky, but most were doing slow, but fairly steady. I might have done better had one of the spring pop-up pins not broken on one of the 5' sections of my net and I had to shorten it to a 14" net set-up, rather than a 19 footer as those with the longer poles were doing better today, ( HINT, CARRY SPARE PINS OR BOLTS AND WING NUTS AND TAPE, I NEVER THOUGHT OF THIS AND DIDN’T HAVE EITHER WITH ME), and thank God it separated on shore and not in the water.
    There was a mother and daughter right next to me that were new to all this and had just a rectangular net with maybe a 24" handle and they caught fish. It was a kick in the okule to see these gals haul in their first Red Salmon,
    I think there was a younger brother there as well, but I didn’t see him using a net. Hope he did and got at least one.
    At any rate, I looked around before leaving and there was some trash, but not much compared to what I have seen before. However, this was Thursday night and Friday morning and from the traffic I saw on the way down when I was driving home, it is going to be a madhouse down there. I also drive over to South Kasilof entrance and it was crowded with cars, there were a lot of folks already there Thursday night on the beach and North shore wasn’t exactly empty, but I had no problem THEN finding a parking spot.
    As to the discussion on the Gulls, yes they are annoying and have no manners and make terrible noises, not to mention other aggravating habits, but consider how much crud these scavengers actually dispose of. Maybe they do add considerably to the bacteria count, but it would be far worse if all the fish guts and other things weren’t “recycled” by the Gullls, I just wish they would, choose other places to leave their deposits, Maybe the Air Force should drop the drone program and just train seagulls to carry explosives and take out the bad guys -- their accuracy is astounding.
    Please, Pack it in, Pack it out. Sorry about the form of this notice, for some reason, I can't get it to separate paragraphs even with Cut and Paste.

Any update on the Kasilof? Thinking about heading down there this weekend. Anyone still catching anything? I'm wanting to stay away from the crazy Kenai.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast