Thread: seasport/fiberglass gunnel protection

Default seasport/fiberglass gunnel protection

I've got a 22' seasport and have been pulling a lot of pots this season by hand. I plan on a puller at some point but with limited funds its all by hand at the moment. Anyway, as I get the pot up onto the gunnel and into the boat I am getting lots of scratches and nicks/chips etc. Has anyone done anything clever to protect the gunnel from lots of pot abuse/use? I am thinking of 3m paint protection for starters, but ultimately would like something sturdier/beefier than that.

anybody have this problem on a seasport or other fiberglass boat (olympic)?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by mtl1076 View Post
    I've got a 22' seasport and have been pulling a lot of pots this season by hand. I plan on a puller at some point but with limited funds its all by hand at the moment. Anyway, as I get the pot up onto the gunnel and into the boat I am getting lots of scratches and nicks/chips etc. Has anyone done anything clever to protect the gunnel from lots of pot abuse/use? I am thinking of 3m paint protection for starters, but ultimately would like something sturdier/beefier than that.

anybody have this problem on a seasport or other fiberglass boat (olympic)?
    A piece of UHMW works very well attached with stainless hardware.

I used a Scotty "Trap-Ease" (model 750 or 749) pot pulley for awhile with success. I managed to break one because I was trying to pull 3 pots at a time by hand, and the stress was too much. If you're pulling singles, however, it should work well, especially if you already have Scotty rod holder sockets on your boat. I got mine at B&Js, but they are available online.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just a thought, but maybe buy a large truck mud flap at Six Robblees. Find a way to hang it over the gunwale while you pull pots. It would be something that you could put out and put up as needed.

Build yourself a simple removable plywood "table" that fits on your gunnel, i had one on my bowpicker that was held on to the hauler by a bungee, some scrap plywood and a few pieces of 1x4. You can see it in the pictures. Worked great for a fish cleaning table also. UHMW is ok but its to slippery and the pots will slide off of it.
    basketshrimp.jpgdumping yellow pot.JPG

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Just a thought, but maybe buy a large truck mud flap at Six Robblees. Find a way to hang it over the gunwale while you pull pots. It would be something that you could put out and put up as needed.
    Good idea. A cheaper option might be to hit the remnant pile at Alaska Rubber and get a thinner piece of rubber that can be rolled up and stored out of the way. You could just sell that gel coated beast and buy an alloy hull.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I suggest along the lines of some of the other. Go get a cheap outdoor mat/carpet, and hang it on over the side. Then there's no permanent alteration to your boat.

thanks for the tips. I like the wood set up potbuilder has and adding some carpet over the side seems like a good cheap way to solve the problem for now. I can find a clever way to store the whole setup somewhere and realistically I know which outings a I pulling pots.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    You could just sell that gel coated beast and buy an alloy hull.
    Then he'd just have another ugly boat lol.

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    Glad you said it and not me but on the other hand i've seen some real fiberglass abominations.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by mtl1076 View Post
    thanks for the tips. I like the wood set up potbuilder has and adding some carpet over the side seems like a good cheap way to solve the problem for now. I can find a clever way to store the whole setup somewhere and realistically I know which outings a I pulling pots.

thanks.
    I've never took notice to the gunnel caps on those boats but if they are smooth a guy could either use waxed paper or sheet plastic to cover the gunnel and then lay up fiberglass over it to form another gunnel piece where the pots are landed, the glass won't stick to the wax paper/plastic so its only a mold and you'd have a nice removable gunnel guard. Gelcote it to match the gunnel color and you won't even see it !! Hey there's a service to add to Alaska Shrimp Pots ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

1076, not sure of your boat or if it is a play/work boat or whatnot but if it is more of a work boat than a pleasure boat you could look at buyi g a quart of white truck bedline you roll on to help protect the gelcoat in the area that gets scratched up. White will blend in with the hull well and if you applied several coats you could build up the bed liner to 3/16"+ quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Glad you said it and not me but on the other hand i've seen some real fiberglass abominations.
    We all know you guys are just envious!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    We all know you guys are just envious!
    chocolate and vanilla my friend but i sure hate the taste of metal in my ice cream.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Potbuilder

Beginning to understand that fiberglass is not very hard to work with .... just do not sniff the vapors .... not another fiberglass vs metal thread. I prefer tupperware to spamcans myself .... oh well

Metal is easy to work with, if you know what your doing.
    (It also makes the glass boat guys jealous when we cruise by....I have had both!!)
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by ocnfish View Post
    Potbuilder

Beginning to understand that fiberglass is not very hard to work with .... just do not sniff the vapors .... not another fiberglass vs metal thread. I prefer tupperware to spamcans myself .... oh well
    "fiberglass is not very hard to work with" so are watches if you know what your doing

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692