Thread: Sockeye travel time to Upper Kenai

Default Sockeye travel time to Upper Kenai

About how does it take for the reds to go from the mouth up to the Russian River area on the Kenai? I was wondering when that plus 200,000 day will get there. Thanks.

During the first run that timing seems to be pretty quick - maybe 7-10 days? That said, during the 2nd run the timing can be highly variable. During some years it seems that the fish take quite a prolonged break in Skilak Lake. Last year, for instance, saw smoking hot fishing in the lower river, but it never really seemed to materialize in the upper river. There were fish to be had, for sure, but nothing approaching the numbers that one would expect given the escapement - at least, not until the fish were very colored up and not ideal for the table. They could be there next week, but it could also be dead then as well.

This is always a tough one. Obviously a very small percentage are actually going up the russian so I wonder if in the main channel it ends up fishing well a lot sooner than the russian itself. Any thoughts? The last two years the run stayed strong enough on the lower that I never made it to the upper.

Brian is correct, Skilak Lake is the "big black box". On one extreme, Sockeye can fly right through the lake in one day, and on the other end they have been known to sit in the lake for over a month.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly