Thread: Info for first timer

Default Info for first timer

Hi. I am thinking of doing a float hunt next year (2014) season, and have no idea where to start. I would possibly just do a drop from a plane, rent a raft, and hopefully get picked up later. Don't know much other than that.

Any info from you experts would be awesome. I am an Alaskan, but just never got out to do the float hunt thing.

Thanks

AKF, I'm sure no expert and I was in the same situation you are facing, we wanted to do a float hunt but had never done one before. Here is the link to our story and how we started. Hopefully it can provide some useful info and/or inspiration for you.

Let me know if you have questions.
    kingfisherktn

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-kingfisherktn

Sorry, no kingfisher in my handle! ;-)

If cost isn't a concern, then contact one of the capable and experienced trip planners such as Mike Strahan or Larry Bartlett. There are others too, which you can find on this forum. Both of the above named gentlemen have written books on the subject, which you can purchase through the web site store:
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...ex.php?cPath=1

Get the books and read them, plus others on river floating in Alaska.

Cost probably is a concern though, but you will still be well served by hiring a planner. Or if you're cheap like me you can wing it and hope for the best. There are many rivers that meet up with the highway system, so you can consider getting flown in and floating out to the highway. This cuts down on cost considerably compared to being picked up and flown out. It will also likely cut down on your hunting opportunities. But I see this as a big decision point in your adventure planning, and you should well consider what you're willing to pay for. I'm doing the fly in, float out option accepting that my opportunities are constrained. If you're willing and able to pay for pipckup flights it opens up a lot more of the state.

This web site is a tremendous resource for someone wanting to do a DIY float hunt. But I'd wager a high sum that the odds of success go up significantly if you hire a planner who knows the the rivers, the equipment, and the game.

Have you taken a look at our Float Hunting page yet? It's a good place to start figuring out what you need to figure out, to coin an awkward phrase.

http://outdoorsdirectory.com/activit.../float-hunting

I'd second the recommendation to talk to Michael Strahan. Even if you don't end up using his hunt planning service, at least having a chat would be a good starting point.

I'll third the recommendation for Michael Strahan because that is what we did. Good luck.