Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Used Salt

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    14

    Default Used Salt

    What do you gujys do with your used salt out in the field after you've salted a cape? Do you pack it back out with you or what? Just curious as to what we should do with our salt assuming we get lucky. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member PacWestFishTaxidermy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marineman3122 View Post
    What do you gujys do with your used salt out in the field after you've salted a cape? Do you pack it back out with you or what? Just curious as to what we should do with our salt assuming we get lucky. Thanks.
    Salt is a natural mineral and even if it is not indigenous to the very spot you dump it, it will do good things. Unless you dump in on a putting green at a gold course. No reason to pack it up and haul it home.

  3. #3
    Member kahahawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,443

    Default

    We dump it....one year there was four of us each with about 25 pounds, I would say we used about 35 pounds of it very generously on 4 capes. We were not about to bring back 60 plus pounds of salt back on the airplane, and listen to the pilot rant and rave about it.

    I would say, there was one hell salt lick we left behind....

  4. #4
    Member pa_pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    83

    Default

    Never had to worry about it before, but I would dump it. Some critter may thank you for it.

  5. #5

    Default

    It's probably bad for the vegetation to just dump it on the ground near plants, but it should be fine to dump small amounts of salt on rock/gravel or in running water where it'll be diluted very quickly.
    Jason
    http://www.troutnut.com -- Fly fishing photos & insect hatch encyclopedia.
    http://www.daltoncorridormap.com -- Exact 5-mile Haul Road corridor boundary for GPS & Google Earth

  6. #6
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    This is as good as the expired flare thread in the boating section.

  7. #7
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marineman3122 View Post
    What do you gujys do with your used salt out in the field after you've salted a cape? Do you pack it back out with you or what? Just curious as to what we should do with our salt assuming we get lucky. Thanks.
    I'll tie this one in with Bronco's other thread....bring some marguarita mix along to use all the extra salt after fleshing is done after the kill...sure it'll taste a little funky, but you'll be alright....

  8. #8
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    I'll tie this one in with Bronco's other thread....bring some marguarita mix along to use all the extra salt after fleshing is done after the kill...sure it'll taste a little funky, but you'll be alright....
    After two or three rita's you won't notice the taste. Kinda like drinking sub par beer.

  9. #9

    Default

    I thought this thread was going towards RE - USING the salt...drying it out on a plastic sheet in the sun, de-icing the driveway, etc.
    However, dumping it would be establishing an Artificial Salt Lick and that might be a No No in the eyes of F & G...

  10. #10
    Member PacWestFishTaxidermy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    There's always one in the crowd. Facepalm

  11. #11
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nuskovich View Post
    I thought this thread was going towards RE - USING the salt...drying it out on a plastic sheet in the sun, de-icing the driveway, etc.
    However, dumping it would be establishing an Artificial Salt Lick and that might be a No No in the eyes of F & G...
    So along those lines, every time I shoot some pee out in the wilderness I would be establishing an artificial salt lick. Dump the salt and hike your ram out.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  12. #12
    Member akgun&ammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    983

    Default

    Would dump further away from the water.. Don't want any excess bacteria growing

    And I personnally wouldn't make a pile, spread out somewhat and let it go back to nature. Salt is a normally found mineral.

    Let's not over think ourselves out there.

    Chris

  13. #13
    Member broncoformudv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    4,670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    There's always one in the crowd. Facepalm
    No kidding! I wonder how some of you people on this forum ever manage to go hunting, fishing, or anything else in life with the way you read between the lines and search out gray area in regulations. I can't imagine living in your shoes and thinking every law enforcement agent out there is trying to find something to write me up for or lock me up for. Take the tin foil hats off and go live your life!

  14. #14
    Member tlingitwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    No kidding! I wonder how some of you people on this forum ever manage to go hunting, fishing, or anything else in life with the way you read between the lines and search out gray area in regulations. I can't imagine living in your shoes and thinking every law enforcement agent out there is trying to find something to write me up for or lock me up for. Take the tin foil hats off and go live your life!
    It's not paranoia if in fact they really are out to get ya!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea
    _________________________________________________

    If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

  15. #15
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    Pack it out. Leave no trace.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •