Thread: 50 HP Evinrude popping fuse.

Default 50 HP Evinrude popping fuse.

A friend has an older 50 HP Evinrude 2-stroke that started popping a 20 fuse. It initially did it when raising the motor up. The entire motor is dead when the fuse pops. I don't know much more but it is remote and getting him parts isn't easy or cheap. Maybe someone has experience with problems such as this or can give me a plan to troubleshoot it.

Thanks in advance..
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtofak View Post
    A friend has an older 50 HP Evinrude 2-stroke that started popping a 20 fuse. It initially did it when raising the motor up. The entire motor is dead when the fuse pops. I don't know much more but it is remote and getting him parts isn't easy or cheap. Maybe someone has experience with problems such as this or can give me a plan to troubleshoot it.

Thanks in advance..
    What year is it? Does have power trim/tilt? Did the fuse blow as he was manually lifting the motor on the tilt bracket? (indicating a wire chafed at that moment).

You have corrosion in the wires. I recently had a similar problem on a Honda 90. A $5 Napa circuit tester (looks like an ice pick with a light) helps determine which one is bad.

Sobie2

I have a similar problem in a 35 Horse Merc 2 stroke. I blow the fuse about once or twice a season, and it kills everything dead. I've been just carrying spares but I havent gone too far from the launch either. I had to splice it with a piece of wire just to get home the first time it happened and then cross my fingers on the way home... Sobie, can you describe how you test the wires for corrosion with the tester?

Well a fuse pops when there is to much amperage going throuh it because what ever function occuring (starter, or power tilt etc) is requiring more juice than usual. The main fuse (in this case) is tied to many sources, but the two biggest are power tilt and starting. Corroded battery cables are the first suspect often you can see smoke on the terminals as you turn it over, and sometimes this symptom can show up as hard starting.

In my case the fuse would pop as soon as it turned the key switch to run (not even start). So the circuit tester is put in place of the fuse and grounded and one by one you disconnect things. One time I had installed a new tiller handle and from the factory there was pinched wire causing the fuse to go.

Sobie2

Thanks for the explanation Sobie. Mine pops the fuse as soon as you turn the key to run as well...

google this phrase "honda bf90 keeps blowing fuse"

I had help going through this with my Honda BF90 and there in marineengine is the discussion

Sobie2

Ahh, that was helpful, thanks again..

Replaced the starter solenoid. Checks out good so far. Thanks for the replies.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks