Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 8-10 ft aluminum jet boat?

Default 8-10 ft aluminum jet boat?

I saw a couple people jist rippen up the lil sue and i gotta have one of these things anybody got expierience with the minature jet boat that goes like 50mp

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by kylejohnson View Post
    I saw a couple people jist rippen up the lil sue and i gotta have one of these things anybody got expierience with the minature jet boat that goes like 50mp
    I've seen guys on the Chena River in FBKS running those things too. 50 mph on the Little Su is an absolute horrible idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    50 mph on the Little Su is an absolute horrible idea!
    I agree completely! We stopped gonig there because too many idiots running too fast and out of control there. Grew up fishing that river, but haven't been back for probably 15+ years. Just not worth risking my life.

Lil su should of been closed to motorized boats a long time ago, that river is way too small, adfg dont care though, they dont care about saving the fishery

Quote Originally Posted by iyouktug View Post
    Lil su should of been closed to motorized boats a long time ago, that river is way too small, adfg dont care though, they dont care about saving the fishery
    I don't know about all that...
    - It's not ADFG's call as to allowing boat traffic on a river strictly due to the size of the river....
    - I don't see a problem with motorized boats on the river, but maybe a hp restriction may be appropriate for safety reasons (speed)
    - Seems I remember that ADFG shut the river down for fishing to try and protect the run...what else would you have wanted them to do?

I don't know about all that...
    - It's not ADFG's call as to allowing boat traffic on a river strictly due to the size of the river....
    - I don't see a problem with motorized boats on the river, but maybe a hp restriction may be appropriate for safety reasons (speed)
    - Seems I remember that ADFG shut the river down for fishing to try and protect the run...what else would you have wanted them to do?
    What i would have liked to see was them shut the boats down completely at least 5 years ago, there would still be lots of opportunity for float fishing and bank fishing. I have fished this river a ton the last 5 years and sitting there trying to fish holes when boat after boat came flying by i did not fancy. It got bad and having hundreds of boats on that small river at a time i believe resulted in this river being overfished

Default Lil su

However a motor size restriction like you stated might be a good start

I agree, there is a time and place for these boats. But you have to admit, they look like a lot of fun. Are you talking about these? http://www.aluminumboatdesigns.com/s...0ftjetboat.htm This company sells them as a kit in 10' or 14'. I've seen some pretty cool vides online. I understand that they use a jet ski engine.

There is a shop in Juneau building one of those designs right now. I'll try to get pics but it may be a while.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    I agree, there is a time and place for these boats. But you have to admit, they look like a lot of fun. Are you talking about these? http://www.aluminumboatdesigns.com/s...0ftjetboat.htm This company sells them as a kit in 10' or 14'. I've seen some pretty cool vides online. I understand that they use a jet ski engine.
    Back in the day, the builder in Fbks used snowmobile engines

What i would have liked to see was them shut the boats down completely at least 5 years ago, there would still be lots of opportunity for float fishing and bank fishing. I have fished this river a ton the last 5 years and sitting there trying to fish holes when boat after boat came flying by i did not fancy. It got bad and having hundreds of boats on that small river at a time i believe resulted in this river being overfished
    I understand your point, but shore fishing any small river within walking distance of a boat ramp will have similar issues. Additionally, there other reasons to run a boat on the river, other than fishing.

I used to fish the Little Su on foot quite a bit, but not for the last 6 years or so. Not because of lack of fish, but it just wasn't a safe and enjoyable experience anymore. We all have options..I chose to go enjoy other areas.

Back in the day, the builder in Fbks used snowmobile engines
    Essentially the same thing as a jetski engine.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Just because people go down a river fast doesnt mean you should shut it down to boats i understand your probaly the quietly recreating type that wont mind your own business like everyone else but shutting down a river to boats is rediculous. Especially when your on a forum about boats. I might have exagerated the 50mph thing it was probaly 30-35 . And thanks everyone else for your positive feedback i believe its called mountain boating theres some videos on youtube that are pretty cool im thinkin all ho.e made ill put up some pics when i get started.

Just because people go down a river fast doesnt mean you should shut it down to boats i understand your probaly the quietly recreating type that wont mind your own business like everyone else but shutting down a river to boats is rediculous. Especially when your on a forum about boats. I might have exagerated the 50mph thing it was probaly 30-35 . And thanks everyone else for your positive feedback i believe its called mountain boating theres some videos on youtube that are pretty cool im thinkin all ho.e made ill put up some pics when i get started.
    The point is not the noise for the most part, it is the fact that it is a very small river and it is dangrous for people to be going that fast. Like Frostbitten said, most aren't thinking of closing it to motors, just restricting the size of the motor. Heck, the Kenai river that is 10 times the size is limited to 50hp because of bank erosion, yet something the size of the Little Su has no limit and poeple running 30-35? If those people think they are actually in control and can stop going down river around a blind corner when they see another boat coming up or some fisherman standing in the middle of the river fighting a salmon, they are fooling themselves. As I mentioned above, I grew up fishing and boating on that river, but after far too many close calls, I decided a fishing trip wasn't worth my life and have not been back since. Too many idiots running too big and too fast of boats on a far too small river.

They ought to have an mandatory IQ test at the boat launches... or maybe just a breathalyzer....alot of boneheaded mullet skulled morons on that river, IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    The point is not the noise for the most part, it is the fact that it is a very small river and it is dangrous for people to be going that fast. Like Frostbitten said, most aren't thinking of closing it to motors, just restricting the size of the motor. Heck, the Kenai river that is 10 times the size is limited to 50hp because of bank erosion, yet something the size of the Little Su has no limit and poeple running 30-35? If those people think they are actually in control and can stop going down river around a blind corner when they see another boat coming up or some fisherman standing in the middle of the river fighting a salmon, they are fooling themselves. As I mentioned above, I grew up fishing and boating on that river, but after far too many close calls, I decided a fishing trip wasn't worth my life and have not been back since. Too many idiots running too big and too fast of boats on a far too small river.

Sometimes people get hurt doing thing that are fun casualtys of war. Why is it you skier folk alway wanna limit and restrict what other people do i swear never happy with the peoples own free will you gotta have rules to follow . If you want restrictions go to kenai simple as that

Sometimes people get hurt doing thing that are fun casualtys of war. Why is it you skier folk alway wanna limit and restrict what other people do i swear never happy with the peoples own free will you gotta have rules to follow . If you want restrictions go to kenai simple as that
    When someone else's "fun" injures or kills others, THAT is when they cross the line. THAT is what I am talking about. I couldn't care less if their fun hurts themselves, but when it starts to endanger me, I get concerned. Your issue with skiers is very misplaced, but that is a whole other story that I really don't want to get into here and it sounds like you have no ability to understand anyway.

.......I have fished this river a ton the last 5 years and sitting there trying to fish holes when boat after boat came flying by i did not fancy. It got bad and having hundreds of boats on that small river at a time i believe resulted in this river being overfished
    I stopped bothering with the Little Su nearly 25 years ago. The boats destroyed that river.

Sometimes people get hurt doing thing that are fun casualtys of war........
    More like casualties of stupidity.

A young man riding a dirt bike along the new motorized vehicle trail along Trunk Road (on somebody's property) dumped his motorbike on a paved street that intersects Trunk Road. He was laying in the middle of the street rolling about and crying in pain. No helmet. Illegal bike on the road. Dumb as a box of rocks.

So I get out to see if I should call an ambulance. Of course, I don't say anything to Dumb Duck about illegality or stupidity. I know what that would elicit.

Sure enough, Dumb Duck is pissed off that somebody put a paved street in his way.

His daddy and brother came to collect his dumb buttocks up off the street. I could see that it runs in the family................

Why is it you skier folk alway wanna limit and restrict what other people do i swear never happy with the peoples own free will you gotta have rules to follow .
    Maybe they want freedom from the likes of you. Any reason they can't go someplace with an expectation that they won't get run over by idiots? They have as many rights as you do, and one of which is the right to safety.

Your approach is the quickest way I know to get things shut down or tightly restricted. Be reasonable, polite and smart around other folks and there would never be an issue or new regs. You bring it on yourself, then whine about how your rights have been taken away from you. Sheesh.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast