Thread: Anchorage freshwater fishing help

Default Anchorage freshwater fishing help

Hi everybody, newbie here that is asking for some help. Great forum with a ton if info (I never realized Alaska was so diverse)
    I'm heading to Whittier Alaska first week of August coming from Vancouver. I'm interested in staying at a lodge for 2-3 days for some fresh water fishing. From what I read we basically have to make it to Anchorage first as a jumping off point. I understand that salt water fishing is huge but out here in Manitoba, Canada I'm an avid angler and freshwater is my thing, so if a true hawg is landed it would mean much more to me. First on the species list would be Lake trout then Pike but also would love a chance at a grayling or Char. I fish a lot so would need a legitimate chance at a 40"+ laker or 45"+ Pike. Does anybody have any input on possible areas or lodges to start looking into? By no means do we need to be pampered or have 5 star service. We just need something clean with good fishing and want to experience the wilderness of Alaska. Thanks for any feed back you can offer.
    Tight lines!
    Neil

You might be a little to far south in Ak .you probably will do better fishen silver's at that time.

Whittier really isn't the place to fish for lakers, pike, grayling or char. Whittier doesn't offer much freshwater fishing at all. You should be looking northward, towards Denali highway, Fairbanks, or Lake Louise.
    Download the free Alaska fishing app FISH FINDER for Iphone!
    www.alaskatacklerental.com

Sounds like you need to look into a lodge with flight service. A lot of the bigger pike in the south will be found on fly-in fishing trips in the summer (Alexander and Trapper), as for lake trout you could try Long Lake which is about 45mi north of Palmer. I agree Whittier would not be the first choice for fresh water fishing adventures, but you can't beat the view or charter fishing offered there.

I've only seen one laker over 40". I know where, but I'm not telling. You can spend a lot of time looking for a laker that size. Long Lake (mile 86) would be like winning the lottery if you got one that big. Only 1 20#er caught there in a long time as far as I have heard.

Pike..... call Willow Air, see if they are still doing fly out to their cabin. Could break 40" maybe more.

Is the Grant still open? I spent many a night there in the early 80s.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Thanks for the info guys, would it be better off for me to take a short flight elsewhere as a pick up point?