Thread: Dip net brand

Default Dip net brand

I have a Sportsmans Wharehouse 5 ft net like Alot of people. I looked up online the nets from Mikes welding in Sterling and like what I see. Who uses one and do you like it? They look like they may be one of the best nets out there. Any feedback appreciated.

I have mike welding nets and they are the strongest best quality made ones out there period 152.00 each and wont bend like cheap ones you get at sportsman..
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Hey sweet pete, that sportsmans net is the same one i got and it works real well, let me tell you what i was dippin those fish like click clack i said clickity clack

Mike's Welding makes great nets, some of the very best in Alaska.

Buying a 4 foot hoop for boat dipping I'd go Mikes.

But for shore dipping I'd go for a 5 foot hoop from Ron Fuller in Chugiak. Easy to find. I own two of these and am biased. I love'm.

When you're there choose which meets your needs than add a replacement net bag and some line to tie with and you're all set.

Just my $ .02 worth. There seem to be two worlds of thought out there, one is making your own net and I have seen some of the darndest contraptions imaginable. As long as you are using the right type of net bag and handling the net correctly, the fish don't seem to care if the pole and hoop, rectangle, or square, is made of wood, steel, aluminum, PVC, or whatever, if they can't see the net and get gilled, you have a good chance of getting fish. The other school of thought is the commercially made outfits, some will do the job and you are probably going to pay around $100.00 for one and it may, or may not hold-up, or be as easy as others are to use. Others such as Mike's and Ron Fuller are top quality and you are going to have to lay out $150.00 or more, but you have a quality product that will last for years and be as easy to handle as possible. If you are serious about dipnetting and not someone who due to economic restraints or just plain handy and want to tackle building a net of your own design, go with either one of these nets and you will be happy. If you have one of Mike's or Fuller's nets and decide to sell it, I doubt you will have any problem as they are in demand, one from Costco may do the job well enough for you, but may not be so easy to get rid of, especially at the price you may want for it. Maybe ask someone down there that has one of these top of the line nets if you could try it for a minute or so just to see how they feel and make your choice from there. I have always had to build my own, and mine did, and do work, but I would have been better off in the first place to pay the piper and bought one of these in the long run, but I am pretty thickheaded. Leastwise my mother always thought so.

Once I bought a net from Mikes welding I will never use another.The tapered design of his hoop is second to none especially from a boat.
    You will not find another brand on our boat.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    But for shore dipping I'd go for a 5 foot hoop from Ron Fuller in Chugiak. Easy to find. I own two of these and am biased. I love'm.
    Absolutely agreed on that one. We've got two nets and I've used a number of others, and the one we got from Ron is by far my favorite - very sturdy, great handle design, ideal length. You can find him by driving along Birchwood Loop Road.

I recently lost my fiberglass dipnet pole and went to Donalsonís in Anchorage to get a replacement. Well, they donít carry the fiberglass poles anymore. But they do carry a heavy duty aluminum poles that come in about 5 foot sections that lock together.

This was my first year using it. Itís a little heavier than Iím use to but the fact I can shorten it or lengthen it at will is really nice. I used 5 foot dipping from the boat, 10 foot dipping from shore, and 15 foot just playing around. It fits the nets I have from when the box stores dipnet poles failed.

If I remember correctly it was about $24.00 a section and $10.00 for a handle.

I got mine from Mikes several years ago and have been thoroughly impressed. Well worth the price. I seem to catch more with it than other people around me. I think it's the tapered shape of the net hoop... I think the water moves over it smoother and quieter so the fish are less likely to avoid it.
    I dipped from a boat the first time last weekend. The other nets being used had been bought at Three Bears a while back. The steel tube of the handle is open on both ends so when they'd lift it out of water, water would drain back out the other end into the boat or onto the person, right in the crotch area.

Ron Fuller out of Chugiak makes some of the best dipnets. The netting material he uses is top notch. I have one with the the extra little handle that you can hold on to. I let me buddy use it after I left Kasilof and he said that he's buying one for next year for sure.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I still like my Binford 6500 Series....but naturally I re-wired it!