Thread: Boat dip net size

Default Boat dip net size

I have a 5 ft net from Sportsmans Wharehouse and was wondering if it is useable on a boat or if it is too big? Thanks.

Return it stop by mike welding in Serling and buy one of his 5 foot net with the 6 foot handle. There made with a better quality handle that wont bend. 5 foot are fine hoops for out the boat
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Return it stop by mike welding in Serling and buy one of his 5 foot net with the 6 foot handle. There made with a better quality handle that wont bend. 5 foot are fine hoops for out the boat
    actually, Sportsmans sells a real nice dipnet with a short handle. Very well built. They also sell a cheap one too.

The 5' hoop is fine out of a boat on the penninsula, not so fine on the copper. I got by butt handed to me with that fast water.
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

I won't go more than a 4 foot hoop and only use nets from mikes in Sterling. His tapered design is ten times easier to use as the drag is that much less.
    The 4 foot hoop is more than enough to catch a lot of fish and is much easier handling in the boat.
    Those 5 foot hoops are a pain to get fish out of in the boat.
    I would also recommend a handle no longer than 6 foot .
    You have to realize that you will be pulling the net into the boat to get the fish out. Long handles and max size hoops are a pain. I would bet guys on the Kenai on most days will put more fish in the boat with the smaller hoop and handle as they are able to get the net in and out of the water faster when they get a fish. And they don't bonk others in the boat with the hoop or handle.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"