Thread: first kenai trip

Default first kenai trip

So I have 4 days off next week and I'm planning on driving down and doing some red fishing. Seems like the numbers keep going up everyday and can't wait to get out. My question is are there any areas or Rivers that aren't shoulder to shoulder "combat fishing"? I don't own a float so I'm going to be wading. I plan on camping out for the week and would like to also get into some rainbows or dollies as well. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll be down the 23-28 if anyone wants to get together and throw a line.

Thanks
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by FF18 View Post
    are there any areas or Rivers that aren't shoulder to shoulder "combat fishing"?
    Not without a boat and even then your going to share a bank during the peak.

My advice is to take a good attitude, be friendly to the people around you and you just might begin to enjoy "combat" fishing. I prefer to call it "social" fishing. No reason fishing should ever be referred to as "combat".

I often spend 25% of my time in the "social fishing" areas helping out of town folks rig properly, netting their fish, etc. Rather than being irritated with me fishing next to them they are inviting me down!

Right there with you limon32, maybe you and i could share the same bank this weekend, get the same rythem down as we flip the line, maybe throw back a few mtn dews and talk about thd good ole days while flippon for some reds. I got a yetti cooler, wildly stronger, keep ice longer. Keep an eye out for me, ill be wearing my primos "speak the language" camo jacket

Wasn't intending on bashing the style of fishing was just curious if there were some options for spots that weren't so crowded in the area. As far as the timing of my trip would it be better to fish the lower parts of the river or would it not matter?

Without a toy to float anything road/trail accessible will have numbers of people.

Be on the river early. Guides get on the river, hooks in the water at 6am.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by FF18 View Post
    Wasn't intending on bashing the style of fishing was just curious if there were some options for spots that weren't so crowded in the area. As far as the timing of my trip would it be better to fish the lower parts of the river or would it not matter?
    The Russian should be quiet. Fishing will suck though.

Try fishing at night at some of the places most of the turists don't like the dark and the holes will open up a little bit
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

What's the camping situation like down there. Are there many options?

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Without a toy to float anything road/trail accessible will have numbers of people.

Be on the river early. Guides get on the river, hooks in the water at 6am.
    How bout we team up TWB