Thread: Crescent Lake Cabin - PFDs? Trail?

Default Crescent Lake Cabin - PFDs? Trail?

We're headed to the cabin (not the one at the middle of the lake) in about 10 days. I have been to the lake via Carter Lake trail, but not the other way. We were looking at taking a off road capable jogger for the 2 year old so my wife can wear a backpack as we're headed there for 3 days. Is the trail good enough for that? I know you can mountain bike it.

Also, does the forest service have PFDs at the cabin for the rowboat? I'll pack some in if not, but wanted to check.

Thanks!

They had PFD's last summer while I was there. The trail will be fine with a jogger. I will be at the Saddle cabin Sunday and Monday night, then to the creek cabin Tuesday.

I recall there being some cheapo life vests there the last time I was there, but that was more than a couple years ago. Trail should be ok for a stroller if it has big wheels. If you're going with small child, be advised, that place is the closest I've ever come to a bear in AK.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    We're headed to the cabin (not the one at the middle of the lake) in about 10 days. I have been to the lake via Carter Lake trail, but not the other way. We were looking at taking a off road capable jogger for the 2 year old so my wife can wear a backpack as we're headed there for 3 days. Is the trail good enough for that? I know you can mountain bike it.

Also, does the forest service have PFDs at the cabin for the rowboat? I'll pack some in if not, but wanted to check.

Thanks!

Swimming in a sea of Cow Parsnip with a child could be a nightmare or fatal.

Thanks For the info. Justin 262, I'd appreciate a post or PM when you get back next week concerning the PFDs.

I am we'll aware of bear threats and appreciate the concern. We have 4 kids, making noise is not an issue. Bear mauling stories don't usually have a group of kids in them for a reason. We don't hike in silence, far from it.

Will do. I've been hiking the entire system from carter lake side through to the crescent creek trail side for several years each summer. I've had zero bear issues. Lots of sign, and spotted some high up on the mountain side, but no close encounters. Me, the wife, and two dogs make lots of noise. Bring bear spray if you don't have a capable gun. Last year the oar locks on the boats were so broken that it made rowing practically impossible. I plan on bringing an extra set so hopefully they will be fixed by the time you or anyone else goes.

I was staying at the cabin this past weekend 7/12 thru 7/14 and there were about 6 or so life jackets and a couple flotable seat cushtions. I think there was about 2 kids life jackets if I recall and the others were adults. Definitely a beautiful place when rowing around on the lake. Makes me want to get ready to reserve the cabin again next year. Have a great trip.

Default PFDs

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan4300 View Post
    I was staying at the cabin this past weekend 7/12 thru 7/14 and there were about 6 or so life jackets and a couple flotable seat cushtions. I think there was about 2 kids life jackets if I recall and the others were adults. Definitely a beautiful place when rowing around on the lake. Makes me want to get ready to reserve the cabin again next year. Have a great trip.
    thanks for the info. were the oar locks working? it seems like they were, but thought i'd ask. And you were at the cabin at then end, not the mid lake cabin, correct?

appreciate the help

Yes we were staying at the cabin at the end on the Cooper Landing trail side. The person rowing the boat said that one of the oar locks was loose but he was still able to row the boat around.

We stayed at the saddle cabin 7/21-22 and creek cabin 7/23. The oar locks were screwed up at the creek cabin. There's lots of parts and pieces but no bolts to mount the oar clamps to the oar. Bring a 1/4" bolt, 2" long, with a wing nut and you should be able to fix the oar lock. The primitive trail sucks right now. Very overgrown.

Thanks for the info. Is the 'primitive trail' the one going 6 miles into the creek cabin? Or is it the trail connecting the two cabins?

Also, did you happen to notice if a couple of the PFDs were for kids? I have a 4, 7, and 9 year old, hence my question.

We're taking a standard BOB jogger out there with our 2 year old, not sure if you're familiar with those. Trail manageable at this time with one of those?

Yeah they're were some smaller life jackets, I think you will be fine. The bob jogger will be fine on the creek trail. The first 3 miles is great until you reach the bridge over crescent creek, then it's a few hills with stumps and rocks in the trail but the trailer should go fine. Just give yourself about 3-4 hours. The primitive trail runs along side the lake and meets the saddle cabin from either side. You wont need to use it if you are only at the creek cabin. Bring a bug net. There are a few small water crossings 4-6" deep so good hiking boots will help keep your feet dry.