Thread: Kings River & Permanenti trails riding and hunting

Default Kings River & Permanenti trails riding and hunting

Hello,
    New to the forum and new to ATVing. 24 year Alaskan. We are 51/42 so not to beat up yet from living the good life. Bought 2 2010 Polaris 550's. XP EPS for the wife and an X2 for me. Both have wenches and the new stock carlisles for now until I can pony up for pitbulls next year.
    I want to explore the Kings river area. Maybe take the trail up past the campground on the other side of Kings river. Not sure what this is called. Can a couple of novices cross the river this time of year and ride that trail system or is my wife going to have issues with the terrain as far a experience and physical ability?
    We want to ride the trails for the sake of riding but I have an ulterior motive as I drew a DM407 anterless permit for 14A. Dont know the area so I want to scout hunting grounds in this GMU while enjoying the scenery and riding.
    Any suggestions for what I am trying to accomplish for trails in 14A?

Since you are new to ATVing I would stick with permanente trail which is easy. Kings River is very technical trail that is hard enough to ride empty let alone riding with a load of moose meat.

The Permanente trail is the trail to the east of Kings River and is very easy. There is a trail between the two, that depending on water depth of the Kings River is not always passable, so it's easier to just start on the Permanente if that is the side you want to explore. There is also the Young's Creek trail that cuts off just before Ruby Lake to the North. It does have a technical rock area where the tree/brush line ends that I personally wouldn't recommend for novices, but the trail above that point opens up and provides wonderful views from above (you can oversee part of the Permanente from there). Enjoy your ride!

Appreciate the information. This is a big help. Permanente it is. Is the mile marker 71.8(per this site) the starting point for this trip? I think I spotted this area right before Kings river on the way back from Chitna on the 3rd (Overnighted on the river by jet boat charter & fishing was better than great. High water not an issue). I assume the parking area is somewhat vandal free. Is the trail start a no brainer or am I going to run into a bunch of parking area trails at the beginning?

There is a small parking area on the side of the road and more parking on the left as soon as you drive in the little dirt road (you can circle around with longer trailers if not to crowded). The trail is up the dirt road, you won't miss it.

give me a call or text some time i do that trail all the time and would love to take you up and show you around. i have made more than 10 trips to ruby lake over the last 2 years. 910 322 1387

Will do. Today. I posted last night but it did not take for some reason. I am trailered up and we are leaving
    Anchorage in the AM tomorrow. I,ll be going again next week or the week after again. Looks like Ruby Lake may have some decent trout fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by ecuador1961 View Post
    I want to scout hunting grounds in this GMU while enjoying the scenery and riding.
    Any suggestions for what I am trying to accomplish for trails in 14A?
    Do your homework, most of Perm is private ppty, all the way to the mine.

Quote Originally Posted by mstc_inc View Post
    Do your homework, most of Perm is private ppty, all the way to the mine.
    So there is no trail right of way?

Had a great ride. Wy stopped in at least 8 miles or so. Went past the river and up the shale hill. We rode a bit farther and stopped where where its about 30ft straight down/across a short river bed/and 30ft straight up. That was eough for my wife for the day but she was riding like a pro on the way back. Is the rest of the trail the same level of riding? As far as private property goes it looked dificult to tell onece you got past the kings river cut-off and the logged or burned areas. I know their are native lands all over those parts. At about what mile up the trail does the ALASKANS or homesteaders private property end? Easy to find. Saw about 5 riders in the parking lot but based on the mudholes they must have took to the Kings cut-off. Only saw 3 riders an the way out. Had lunch by the river. Perfect day of riding and thanks for help.

Perm. There is a trail ROW. It is refered to as a BLM 17(b) easement. I don't have the maps w/me at work. If you do some searching they can be found on the net. If you have a topo and a gps track of your ride the native ppty begins at section 8 and spans the whole valley to the end of the trail.